Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Frustrated with the purchase (drivetrain Trek 4300)

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  thecrazyfinn 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am actually new to biking, but my question is related to this forum's subject.

Just bougt Trek 4300. Paid around $400 thinking that should be a good stuff for this price.
After I took the bike from the shop, chain went off when I shift the gear (one step at the time) on the left side (there 3 gears on the left side in total). Put the chain back and again it went off in the simmilar situation.
Brought bike back to the store. After trying to fix it, they changed the whole bike saying there is a defect in it.
They assembled for me brand new same model Trek 4300. This time I was able to go for about 10 mile on the paved road (not even durty road) and when going up I changed gear from 2 to 1 (left side) and bum :) , and chain went off again. This time I put the chain back but now the chain likely touching something and there is an instant noise from chain rubbing the surface (not sure what it is touching)
I did not have time yet to go back to the shop.
Did I do something wrong. May be there is a rule that first I have to change gear on the right side (back?) and only after I get to the last/first stop, change gear on the left (front) side? Is there any rule in changing the gears? I know that I have to pedal to get a new gear and then change it for whatever I want. Correct?

I red some posts and there mentioned that Derailleur are cheap and bad in this 4300 Trek
What can be my next step? I am kind of ready to spend more (or get a better model for same price) and not spend time in bike shope.
Should I try to get a better bike if they allow me an exchange? Which one you can recommend that have a good drivetrain? (I am 6", 176 lb). I am not planning to go jumping on it and I do not too much concern about fork's ammortization level. Something not more than $600. Do the 27 speed bikes make the difference too comparing with 24 speed?
Should I consider an upgrade of some parts of drivetrain? (Derailleur or whatever) What minimum make sence to change to get significant improovment.

Thank you in advance. So bad that I found this forum after I got the bike :)
And sorry for too many questions.

Vad

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you mean the chain fell off the small front chainring to the left.

It sounds to me like the drive train just needs to be set-up properly.

It also sounds like the store where you bought is relatively clueless.

It is really very easy to set up a drive train, but it is difficult to learn when you are new, and the bike is really out of whack.

If it shifts up from little to big chain ring in the front okay, then it is likely the lower limit screw, this prevents the FD (front derailleur) from moving to far out.

If the chain rubs on the FD then you need to tighten or loossen the cable tension.
In your case tighten will move the FD out towards the bigger chainrings.

Really the a bike shop would fix this and clue you in in about 5 mins.

#4 ·
Regardless of the level of componentry, if properly adjusted and maintained, you should be okay. With new bikes, the cables stretch and cause/create these types of inaccuracies in the shifting. Too, it sounds like the shop may not have taken thier time setting up the bike and drivetrain. They'll get it right.

Good luck.

#5 ·
vkaz said:
Thanks, Jeff
When chain fell off, it stuck in between frame and whatever else in the front.

They will fix it but as I can imagine because the components are bad, it will happens again and again.
There's nothing wrong with the components, the shop is simply incompetent. Your front derailleur does not have its limit screws set correctly and is overshooting the granny (small) ring when you downshift the front.

Either return the bike and buy one from another (competent) shop, or take the bike to a competent shop for a tuneup. Any competent mechanic should be able to solve this (and likely the other lurking setup issues) fairly quickly.

While the 4300 has low-end components, it should shift reasonably well when new, and you shouldn't be losing the chain like that unless you're shifting into the granny ring under strain, and even then it shouldn't happen all that often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.