mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Front large sprocket use?

I was wondering how many of you guys actually use the front large ring when riding. I never really use it up here in Mass. The only thing it's been good for lately is taking hits on large rocks or fallen trees on the tracks. I was looking at the bashgurads but is there something that will just cover the large ring also? Thanks!
    Last edited by stevo75; 07-29-2008 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo75
    I was wondering how many of you guys actually use the front large ring when riding. I never really use it up here in Mass. The only thing it's been good for lately is taking hits on large rocks or fallen trees on the tracks. Is there someting out there that is made for this or is there something out there that you could buy to cover the large ring? Thanks!
    replace with a bashguard, if you don't use the large ring.. or, grind down the teeth and use your large ring AS a bashguard, at least 'til it bends, then buy a proper one
    There are a couple of bashguards out there where you can keep the large ring, I'm pretty sure blackspire still makes one.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've pretty much killed my large ring, I hit a log at an angle and bent it out about 20 degrees. Took a nice wipeout as well! I could bend back but would rather the bash guard. Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dumb question, is there a mod for the shifter to prevent accidental shifting to the 3rd ring if you have a bash guard setup? I am using Sram x0 grip shifters.

bi-winning
    Dumb question, is there a mod for the shifter to prevent accidental shifting to the 3rd ring if you have a bash guard setup? I am using Sram x0 grip shifters.
    The limit screw on the front deraileur prevents over-shifting.

ps, i use my big ring very frequently.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

thecentralscrutinizer
    Love using the big ring when I can. Mostly fire roads, but soemtimes on less technical singletrack.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    i run 1x9, but my ring is a 36t, so its inbetween middle and big in size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    The limit screw on the front derailleur prevents over-shifting.

ps, i use my big ring very frequently.

Thanks I knew it was something easy.

NRS rules!

I here ya on the large ring use but I think I've used it once during a downhill fireroad. I use it a lot for the logs and really could use the extra clearance if the inch or so will even make a difference. I could always put it back on if I decide to enter any races.

bi-winning

NRS rules!

I could always put it back on if I decide to enter any races.
    Yup, it's easy to swap the bash with the big ring, if your riding changes. I have raced my NRS every single week (at least once) since the start of May.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I use the big ring frequently as well. I prefer shifting one ring up front sometimes because it's quicker than shifting up or down four in the rear. Plus when I broke my right thumb a few weeks back, thumb shifting on the right side was a little painful.
    "What Would Doug Do?"

Hmmmmm
    I use my big ring often.
    I've been looking for a 40 tooth outer, that would be better suited to my 32.5lb rig, but no one makes one.

Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I use my big ring often.
    I've been looking for a 40 tooth outer, that would be better suited to my 32.5lb rig, but no one makes one.

Eric.
    x2, the only ones ive seen, are for 5B arms, you could get one of the ti ring makers to custom you one up though. if you are really into spending the $$$ to get 4B-104mm 40t.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I use it when commuting, etc on road. When off-road, the big ring (and granny) rarely get touched.

No good in rock gardens..
    I use it all the time on all kinds of tracks. If I drop below the 3rd biggest cog I drop to the middle ring to avoid crosschaining.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    never on my trail bike since it doesn't have a big ring..

almost never on the XC bike. Only on the road will the big ring get used, then I almost never use the middle.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake