Thread: front gears?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

front gears?

can u unbolt all your crank gears then bolt just one back on to the bike?

and if i just take my rear derailleur off can i just bolt it back on in the same exact place? and it work like it did before it was off the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "can u unbolt all your crank gears then bolt just one back on to the bike?"

It depends. Some you can some you can't. Most of the really low end stuff you can't. Much of the rest you can. If you have 4 bolts visible on around the middle of the front chain ring, and 4 bolts visible on the back of the small chain ring then you can replace all three chain rings no problem, as long as your new chainrings have the same bolt circle diameter.

"and if i just take my rear derailleur off can i just bolt it back on in the same exact place? and it work like it did before it was off the bike?"

Probably, as long as you don't change anything. Straightening a bent derailleur hanger or replacing one usually requires re-adjustment of the dertailleur. Or if you some how move the limit screws or the barrel adjuster while removing the dertailleur you'll likely have to tweak it a bit. Like I said as long as nothing changes it will likely go back on and perform as before. But you never know, sometimes it will require minor adjustments.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ty thats what wanted to know

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yimer999
    ty thats what wanted to know
    if you remove the cable you probably will need to adjust the barrel adjuster