mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Front derauiler rubbing on chain question.

Being new to working on my bike at anything above the most basic stuff, I was trying to adjust my front derauiler after it recently started rubbing.. I now have it okay EXCEPT when I am in the middle ring, in particular it rubs ever so slightly when the rear is in the biggest 4 cogs.

I climb normally on the second biggest and biggest gear on the rear and middle ring on the front, so this sucks It is rubbing on the inside of the derauiler cage. It changes fine (XTR front and rear) and I have moved it so it is a little straighter, which solved the same problem on the smallest ring but didn't solve it for the middle ring. I have used the L screw as much as possible, any further and it is dropping off the smallest ring.

Where should I be looking, cable tension ? ? ? (yes i have looked at Sheldon Brown, Park Tools etc at their how to guides)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes adjust the tension a little looser, the limit screws have no effect on the niddle ring position.

Check also that the FD is parallel to the chain rings, and about 1 to 2 mm higher than the outer chainring when it passes over top of it.