mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Front Derailleure - Poor shifting

Hello, recently I had my wife's bicycle in for a shifting problem on the front derailleure (between the second and third chain ring). After many attempts to adjust it I took it to the shop. Note: it would shift fine when on the stand but as soon as you rode it would act up.
    They came up with the conclusion that the front crank needed to be replaced.

My question is has this ever happened to any of you?

They replaced the front crank with a Shimano LX M542 170mm ($144.99 part + $38.00 labor)

Thoughts on the price for parts and labor?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bug512
    Hello, recently I had my wife's bicycle in for a shifting problem on the front derailleure (between the second and third chain ring). After many attempts to adjust it I took it to the shop. Note: it would shift fine when on the stand but as soon as you rode it would act up.

My question is has this ever happened to any of you?

They replaced the front crank with a Shimano LX M542 170mm ($144.99 part + $38.00 labor)

Thoughts on the price for parts and labor?

Thanks

Why because it didn't shift properly? Hogwash!

A FD that shifts perfectly on the stand will sometimes not cooperate when you take it out for a test ride - this is more common with full suspension bikes than HT (due to sag)
    If nothing on the DT was worn or bent, then it sounds like that the FD just need to be micro adjusted / tweeked some more. This forum has tons of "how to" FD - see if any of them help you.
    If its not too late, check the FD for play before replacing the crankset. If the FD has >1mm of "play" I would suspect this is your culprit.

Members who have read this thread: 0