mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Front Derailleur won't shift to Granny Ring before or during Climb

I am having a problem with my front derailleur not shifting to the granny ring immediately before or during climbs (i.e. under load) and am wondering if anyone has suggestions.

I did not have this problem (particularly with shifting just before climbs) until I recently replaced my granny ring, middle ring and chain. I kept the same type and size of components (i.e. tooth count, chain length). I also replaced the cable and cable housing and readjusted the derailleur but am still having the problem.

I know that front derailleurs often have trouble shifting under load and that a good technique is to shift before climbing, but the derailleur wont shift even on the slightest incline. I am trying to figure out why the problem would start after I install new chainrings and chain.

The interesting thing is that the previous drivetrain components shifted better even though I had incorrectly installed the middle ring (I had bolted it on with the small guide tab not aligned with the crankarm so the ramps and pins where not in the correct locations).

Could it just be a sign that I need a new front derailleur? The current one is 2 years old.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm pretty sure its your cable tension, look into youtube, it'll show you how.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ekcyclops View Post
    I'm pretty sure its your cable tension, look into youtube, it'll show you how.
    _this_ If you have a stand (or just flip bike upside down) Put the chain in the middle ring and shift to the granny. Keep pedaling and decrease cable tension by turning barrel adjuster clockwise until it shifts down. This is assuming your limit screws are set appropriately. If no-worky, re-set up the front mech all over again.......ie: disconnect cable anchor, set low limit screw, attach cable, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    O.K. Thanks for the suggestions. The problem was definitely because of too much cable tension. I turned the shifter barrel all the way in to release cable tension, but the derailleur was still hesitating to shift to the granny ring, so I started adjusting the cable at the derailleur anchor bolt until the derailleur shifted correctly.