mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Front Derailleur Tuning

I can't seem to get the front derailleur the way I want it. Shifting up chainrings it is fine, also its ok going from the biggest to middle, but it dosen't want to shift to the granny ring when I am in a high (small) cog in the back. Is this normal because of the chainline? It will eventually shift after 3-10 revolutions of the pedals. It shifts to the granny ring normally when I am in a low rear cog.

Thanks.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    thats called cross chaining and you shouldnt do it, very hard on the drivetrain. if it goes in eventually its prob. just a minor adjustment, try the cable adjuster on the shifter. but its ok the way it is

MTB B'dos
    You shouldn't be using any gear "harder" than the 5 cog when in Granny-Ring e.g 1-5 MAX. As said you are cross chaining and seriously speeding up drive train wear.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Is your low-limit screw adjusted properly? You shouldn't touch the barrel adjustment on the shifter for the smallest ring.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigduddy
    Is your low-limit screw adjusted properly? You shouldn't touch the barrel adjustment on the shifter for the smallest ring.

and why not? the barrel adjuster on the shifter is for fine tuning the front deraillier. he has a problem with going into the small ring while crosschaining, which it does after a couple of pedals, so it needs a little tweak to get it perfect. the limit screw only stops the derailler from going past the small ring it has nothing to do with shifting into it, especially if it works in all other combinations

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I tried adjusting the barrel adjuster but it didn't seem to help. It shifts fine in the lowest gear, but gets progressively worse as I move up. I know the higher gears should not be used while in the granny ring, but the lower ones also take a bit longer that I want them to. Any suggestions?

MTB B'dos
    You could try adjusting your REAR derailer so that the shifting is smooth going up or down in the granny if it isn't already. When you actually tune your RD you should be in the middle ring, since it's basically a compromize of sorts for the big and granny.

Quote Originally Posted by asdasd
    I tried adjusting the barrel adjuster but it didn't seem to help. It shifts fine in the lowest gear, but gets progressively worse as I move up. I know the higher gears should not be used while in the granny ring, but the lower ones also take a bit longer that I want them to. Any suggestions?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I did tune the rear derailluer first and it works perfect in every chainring, but I guess I could try it again.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    could your chain possiby be a little short? or maybe the FD could be angled a little bit.
    is it slow shifting going to bigger gears or smaller and is the rear deraillier rapid rise or top normal. personally I wouldnt worry about the not being able to crosschain, since it goes in eventually its a good alarm to remind you not to do it
    slow shifting in all the gears is rear deraillier related
    I would go to the Park tools site and follow their instructions from scratch, FD first, then RD

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by asdasd
    I can't seem to get the front derailleur the way I want it. Shifting up chainrings it is fine, also its ok going from the biggest to middle, but it dosen't want to shift to the granny ring when I am in a high (small) cog in the back. Is this normal because of the chainline? It will eventually shift after 3-10 revolutions of the pedals. It shifts to the granny ring normally when I am in a low rear cog.

Thanks.
    Do not shift to the granny when on the smallest few cogs.

If it shifts OK when on the largest cogs and from the big to middle ring the derailleur adjustment is fine.

Then adjust the activation unit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common