mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Front derailleur shifter problem

My front shifter does great shifting up and down from the granny to the mid ring.
    But from mid to big, I have to push the trigger at the right angle to get it to move up. If the trigger is a little off, the shifter doesn't grab and the derailleur doesn't move.
    Is this shifter toast? I want to take it apart but I am not sure if it is worth it. I mean I hardly use the big ring!!!
    Should I just by a new shifter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What brand / model of shifters do you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The shifter is a Shimano Deore from 2000. Your typical thumb for pushing, index finger for pulling kind.

I just got finished opening it up. I don't know what just happened. But I took off the lower plastic shell for the lower thumbshifting part. And now the symptom of not engaging the big ring has disappeared. How did that happen? I didn't mess with the cable or even with the inside of shifting mechanism. The only thing I noticed was that the screw to the shell was may be a little loose. But I took off the entire shell and the shifting was great...hmm. I am shifting between the mid and big with ease. Haunted bike or something...

Well, at least for now, I don't have to buy a new shifter.