Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

front derailleur question, use triple w double?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PCC 
#1 ·
got a 94 cannondale m900 mtb and I am converting it for commuting. I put 1.25 street tires on with a 11/28 8 speed cassette on back. I have a question. I found a compact Gossamer 50/34 crankset to replace the 22/32/42 crank now on it. Will the triple front derailleur work on the double if I just set the limit screws? Do I need a new derailleur? help Please.Thanks.

#4 ·
I have to agree with Nuts, even though I don't have any experience first hand with an MTB derailer and a 50T ring. I do, however, have experience with an XTR derailer and a 46T ring, and that set-up works great. I just think I'm pushing it using a 46T (the manual cleary stated a 44T max ring), and going bigger than that may lead to trouble. I could be wrong, though.

Of course, the most logical thing to do would be to try it. If the MTB front derailer works fine with a 50T, then use it. If not, then spend a little extra and get a road derailer. I'd save my money until I experimented with it, at least.

#5 ·
I've done it, it'll work. The only limitation that I had experienced was that the outer limit screw was screwed in so far that it actually hit the wrong part of the arm which didn't allow the derailleur to drop back down to allow me to shift to the smaller ring. I had to carefully adjust the upper limit screw so that it would drop down to allow me to shift to the smaller ring and stop before it dropped the chain over the larger front chainring onto the crank arm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.