mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Front Derailleur Problems

I just bought a used Tracer frame for my wife with the original LX Mega 9 Front der on it. the cranks I put on are Bontranger race Lite 22-32-44. The problem is my chain rubs the bottom of the the derail in the low position in and I cannot put the derail any lower on the frame because it won't clear my 44 t chainring when I shift up. Derail works fine otherwise. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brihombre
    I just bought a used Tracer frame for my wife with the original LX Mega 9 Front der on it. the cranks I put on are Bontranger race Lite 22-32-44. The problem is my chain rubs the bottom of the the derail in the low position in and I cannot put the derail any lower on the frame because it won't clear my 44 t chainring when I shift up. Derail works fine otherwise. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.
    In which gear combo does it rub? It appears you left out that info.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More Detail

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    In which gear combo does it rub? It appears you left out that info.
    It starts rubbing in about the middle cog in the rear with the front der. in the granny. I know at this point you may want to start shifting to the middle ring but I have never had a Der. rub in this position. It does not rub the side of the Der. but on the bottom of it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brihombre
    It starts rubbing in about the middle cog in the rear with the front der. in the granny. I know at this point you may want to start shifting to the middle ring but I have never had a Der. rub in this position. It does not rub the side of the Der. but on the bottom of it.
    Well, don't use those gears. The chain rubbing the bottom of the front derailleur is totally normal in that situation.

The granny is really only meant to be used with the largest 2-4 cogs. With most setups you start duplicating the gear ratios on the middle ring once you get to the 3rd largest cog with the inner ring.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    It is a FS bike, most will rub in this gear combo when there is no weight on the saddle. If you put a rider on the saddle and allowed the rear wheel to travel upwards, you would gain enough clearance so that the chain would not rub on the derailleur in the small chainring and any cog combo.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good Info

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    It is a FS bike, most will rub in this gear combo when there is no weight on the saddle. If you put a rider on the saddle and allowed the rear wheel to travel upwards, you would gain enough clearance so that the chain would not rub on the derailleur in the small chainring and any cog combo.
    I didn't think of that. Smart.