This guy

Front Derailleur help, SHIMANO ALIVIO FD-M410

I have a SHIMANO ALIVIO FD-M410 that came on the bike from the factory. I didnt have a problem with it one day, and the next time i rode it it wouldnt shift properly (obviously it doesnt magically happen, i may have hit the cage or something while transporting or storage.. thought i cant tell you how it happened). I adjusted the hell out of it, and now it will upshift to the next sprocket, but it wont downshift. I am about this whole deal. I have set the front derailleur as instructed (inline with the largest chain ring, 2mm above the largest chainring.. adjusted high and low adjustment too....) now WTF? Is the cage possibly bent? HELP!
    RIDE

This guy
    p.s. how much slack should be in the cable for the derailleur ? should it be snug or loose?
    RIDE

MTBR Demi-God
    When the FD is in the smallest chainring, the cable should be as tight as you can get it with your hands.

After that, try adjusting the limit screws on the FD. Also check to make sure that the FD is parallel to the chainrings, and didnot rotate due to a bump.

All these being said, adjusting the FD is tricky.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

This guy
    thanks for the advice!
    I finally got it to work as i listened to someone else who told me to loosen up the cable and adjust the low setting. AFTER adjusting the low, take up the slack in the cable. It worked!
    RIDE

MTBR Demi-God
    Good to see that you got it worked out
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."