Transition Blindside v5

New question here. front derailleur height adjustment for 2x9+bach setup ?

I have a 22-32-44T crankset with its 44T replaced by a bashguard as a "2x9 + bash" setup.

To re-install & re-adjust a front derailleur, do I always need to temporailly re-mount the 44T to get the front-derailleur "height adjustment" correctly (in the "usual" manner, positioned in relation to 44T teeth height)?

Or is there a short-cut doing so without putting back the 44T?

Thanks for the info in advance,
    - PiroChu

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
    Last edited by PiroChu; 11-07-2005 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    I have a 22-32-44T crankset with its 44T replaced by a bashguard as a "2x9 + bash" setup.

To re-install & re-adjust a front derailleur, do I always need to temporailly re-mount the 44T to get the front-derailleur "height adjustment" correctly (in the "usual" manner, positioned in relation to 44T teeth height)?

Just leave it at 44T height. I didn't have to move the front-derailleur to work with 36-26T.

Transition Blindside v5
    Quote Originally Posted by djska
    Just leave it at 44T height. I didn't have to move the front-derailleur to work with 36-26T.

Let me clerify...

I know that the 44T front-drlr height works with a 22-32T 2x9/bash setup.

But now I bought a new front drlr that I'd like to install. So, my questions are...

* For a 22-32T 2x9/bash setup, can I simply do the same "1~2mm gap" method on my 32T?
    * If not, how do I correctly adjust the front-drlr height without having a 44T ring?
    * Or, is using 44T the only way to do so?

Put it another way; "Is the (temporary) use of 44T always required for correctly adjusting the front-drlr height (for a 22-32T 2x9/bash setup)?"

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 11-07-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Map Maker
    Let me clerify...

I know that the 44T front-drlr height works with a 22-32T 2x9/bash setup.

But now I bought a new front drlr that I'd like to install. So, my questions are...

* For a 22-32T 2x9/bash setup, can I simply do the same "1~2mm gap" method on my 32T?
    * If not, how do I correctly adjust the front-drlr height without having a 44T ring?
    * Or, is using 44T the only way to do so?

Put it another way; "Is the (temporary) use of 44T always required for correctly adjusting the front-drlr height (for a 22-32T 2x9/bash setup)?"

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    I don't think you will have the right height on your front D if you put it just 1 - 2 mm above the 32T ring

My front D goes over my Bashguard with the outer part of the front D chain catch. Just mount it to give you a bit of clearance over the bash but not so high as to be able to shift your chain up and over the outer bash.

remember to adjust your front D limits screws too when running 2 x 9 and bash
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

I can't say what "measurements" one might use in a particular instance, but..... (and am just guessing here as I run 3 rings...) with a bashguard as a 3rd ring, you're only running 2 rings - there is no need for the dr to be able to "clear" a 44t ring, per se. I's spend a sunny afternoon experimenting with how much clearance you need to clear your 22 and 32....I doubt it's much different than what you're thinking....No need to put the 44 back on to "adjust" because, as far as your riding is concerned, you have a 2 ring crank (you obviously don't have any need to be able to "shift" to the bguard nor a 44t...) Keep it simple...

Thanks for the info in advance,
    - PiroChu

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

mtbr member
    Roadies run into a similar problem when they run compacts. Generally, adjust it so you have the clearance for the bash guard and you've adjusted it slightly higher (3-4mm) for your 32T

Transition Blindside v5

Hope

Thanks, all, for your input.

In the end, I just temporarily re-mounted my old 44T simply as a "measurement tool" for the height adjustment. From there, the usual/normal front-drlr installation/adjustment was a breath, taking out all the "guess work".

I suppose I shouldn't be lazy cutting corners...

Thanks again,
    - PiroChu