mtbr member

New question here. Front derailleur drama - cannot reach adjustment screws

I am having a heck of a time adjusting my front derailleur. My bikes oversized swing arm for the rear suspention (bike: k2-900) make it impossible to get to the adjustment screws. I have tried using just a really short screw driver bit (for a drill) and a wrench but there isnt even enought clearence for that.

My question is...
    Dose anyone make a front derailleur where the adjustment screws are on the front or side rather than the top.

Thanks
    Gene Hacker

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Try hex bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneHacker
    I am having a heck of a time adjusting my front derailleur. My bikes oversized swing arm for the rear suspention (bike: k2-900) make it impossible to get to the adjustment screws. I have tried using just a really short screw driver bit (for a drill) and a wrench but there isnt even enought clearence for that.

My question is...
    Dose anyone make a front derailleur where the adjustment screws are on the front or side rather than the top.

Thanks
    Gene Hacker
    I'm not sure what bike you have, but a fix you could try is to replace the front mech screws with LONGER hex (Allen) head bolts. Then you can use a ball head Allen/hex key at an angle of up to about 25 to 30 degrees and still make adjustments. Hope that helps.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Some road bike derailuers have the limit screws on the front. The ones I saw at the bike shop today were for braze-on mount though

It's alot of extra work, but you could loosen the derailuer clamp so you can move the derailuer out where you can get to the screws, adjust them a little, move it back and check, move it out and adjust, and do that as many times as it takes to get it adjusted....

mtbr member

Ill try both

Thanks guys. I am going to try both. I should be able to get it adjusted on way or another.

Gene

Old Bald Dude

How about a ratchetting offset screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneHacker

My question is...

Thanks
    Gene Hacker
    Would this one from Sears work?

I had to use one similar to this on my 1997 Proflex Animal. In case you didn't know K2 once was Proflex.

Good luck,

Chris

mtbr member

Smile Heck Yea!

Quote Originally Posted by CruzinJapan
    Would this one from Sears work?

I had to use one similar to this on my 1997 Proflex Animal. In case you didn't know K2 once was Proflex.

Good luck,

Chris

I think that is exactly what I need. Thanks for going to the trouble. I am on my way to sears!

Geno