mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Front Derailleur downshift to middle issue

I just got a new bike and i've put around 30 miles on it. I was having issues with the chain rubbing against the front derailleur and stupid me thought i would mess with the front derailleur. Instead of just messing with the high low screws I unscrewed the whole thing. So I watched a few videos on adjusting it but i still cant get it right. I can get it to go from lowest to middle to highest with no problem. What I cant get it to do is go from biggest to middle, it just stays on the biggest crank. If i shift to the smallest crainring it will shift into it. I've tried adjusting different things, height, angle and cable tension but i still cant get the right combination. When adjusting the derailleur is their an optimal spot where the high and low screws should be when starting? Almost all the way in, in the middle? Any idea guys? The bike is a piranha with sram x.5 components

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    did you set your high and low limit screws properly? you gotta start there.. all though both those adjustments dont have a lot to do with shifting into the middle ring. you're kinda looking at the screw adjustment wrong though, they're screws because most bikes will require a different screw position! thats dependant on your frame, crank, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Front Derailleurs are a pain. It's worth the 10 bucks to have the lbs adjust it. It will save you a huge headache. Plus, it's new. What's up with the 3 month free check up?

You probably shouldn't have done what you did to it, but if you can't follow the instructions on how to properly set it up, take it to a shop. Try these if you haven't already http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mbtr member
    1. set derailleur height so that when you twist the cage over the big ring and look at it from the side the cage is 2mm above the teeth on big ring
    2. look down on the cage and make sure it is parallel to the chainring
    3. set the low limit screw. put the chain on the small cog in the front and big cog in the back, and dial the limit screw so that he chain is barely not touching the inside of the cage
    4. wind in the cable tension adjuster (on the shifter) almost all the way and clamp the cable into the derailleur, while gently pulling the cable.
    5. set the high limit screw. put the chain on the big front gear and the small rear one, pull the cable taught, and adjust the screw so the chain is barely not touching the outside of the cage.
    6. use cable tension to set the middle chainring. shift to '2' and use the barrel adjuster to trim the cage so you get the largest usable range of gears
    7. go ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    You probably shouldn't have done what you did to it, but if you can't follow the instructions on how to properly set it up, take it to a shop. Try these if you haven't already http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

I should have checked those out first. those are really good. The videos I saw seemed pretty straight forward with good directions. I think i just miss understood what I was suppose to be using for my angle relationship, once I got a better description and pictures from the parktool website I got it on the first try, go figure . At least now I can do front derailleur adjustments and probably install a completely new one if i needed to.