mtbr member
    Apr 2008

front derailleur doesn't shift good

I have a 08 jamis Durango with a Sr xc-202 34.9mm top pull front derailleur. It has never shifted great from day one when going from the middle ring to the smallest ring when under load. It has been tuned up once and that didn't cure the problem. I'm the only owner of this bike. So my question is should I upgrade the front derailleur? What would work with my bike? I feel its a decent frame to upgrade. I'm new to tinkering with bikes but I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Any honest input or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Shifting the the front derailleur under load is never a good idea and can lead to all kind of unhappiness (broken or jammed parts). Higher end derailleurs and chain rings may handle this a little better, but in general the best technique is to let up on the pedal pressure before shifting, let the chain settle cleanly onto the new ring and then reapply power. After a while it becomes second nature to anticipate when you're going to need a lower gear and shift well before so as to avoid high load shifting situations.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It seems like even letting off and shifting it still doesn't want to go that well but maybe I should be a little more patient and pay attention to letting the chain move before pedaling

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There are lots of good tutorials on how to properly adjust derailers. If you follow them accurately it might help. It is not rocket science. Give it a go.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    so this weekend i tried shifting differently and i adjusted the front derailluer...nothing worked...how can i tell if i need a new one or if a professional needs to adjust it?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    While front derailleurs are not rocket science, it does take some experience to set them up correctly as there are a number of variables (height, rotational angle, high and low limit screws, cable tension, etc...) that need to be set just right for the derailleur to shift properly. Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Front Derailleur Adjustments is a pretty good place to start. If you're not getting anywhere after trying that guide you may be better served by having a professional look at it to determine if its something that can be fixed with adjustments or if parts need replacing.