mtbr member
    Jun 2007

front derailleur clamp question

I notice my SRAM X Gen front derailleur clamp has some small raised ridges cast into the insdide clamp surface. It is an OEM takeoff purchsed from Jensens. Is this typical? seems like it would damage the frame finish at the least and potentially the tubing itself when clamped down.

Planning to build up a new frame his weekend and am wondering If i should try to grind these down somehow.

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yep, it's normal. Some Shimano models have them, too.

I'm not sure why they're there...I thought the same thing. I've installed and have been using 3 of them like that with no worries. You shouldn't be torquing the fd clamp bolt that much anyway, just enough to keep it snug. One thing I have noticed is that when removing them, they come loose easier and leave less marring of a powdercoat finish than the older smooth clamping surfaces. Have fun with the build!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Those ridges are there for....

a reason. That being that it requires less torque to stablize the derailleur and keep it from slipping. The same amount of force applied in a smaller area equals more friction. You are actaully using less torque to get the same holding power so are actaully less likely to damage the seat tube. Leave em there, you'll be fine.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the info.