mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Front Derailleur, Cage too short?

Hi, I have recently built up a bike with new/ebay purchased parts and so far so good apart from my front derailleur.

I have an XT760 which I have adjusted as per instructions but when I am on the smallest front chain-ring, the chain contacts the bottom of the cage (as if the whole cage is too high or too short). I have the front derailleur poistioned as low as possible (cage 1mm above the large chain-ring) but still have the problem. Shimano states that this FD is compatible with 44-32-22 ring setup which is what I have. The shifting works fine, just the rubbing is not good. Am I going crazy? Do I need a longer caged front derailleur?

Set up is as follows:
    -Rock Mountain Slayer
    -XT Front Derailleur
    -Deore Rear Derailleur (8 speed set up)
    -Attack trigger shifters
    -Truvativ Sylo GXP crank (44-32-22)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Take the bike out of the stand...

and ride it. I'll bet the rub in the small ring will go away. This is not uncommon for a full suspension bike. When in the stand the suspension if fully extended. This changes the angle of the cassette and chain in relation to the seat tube and thus front derailleur. I'd be willing to bet a doughnut that once you sit on the bike and the suspension sags the rub will disappear. My Specialized Stumpjumper does the same thing in the stand, but on the trail it's silent. This is not uncommon at all with 4" and up travel FS bikes. We run into it all the time at the shop.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ^^^ Yes ^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ^^^ Yes ^^^

Which is this in reply too, I am hoping the 'Am I crazy?' as opposed to 'is my cage too short?', since that would mean I have to spend money... don't mind being a little crazy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ummmm....

I think it is in reference to my post concerning chain rub from an unsagged suspension bike.

No you are not crazy and no you don't have to spend anymore money. Just get the bike out of the stand and go ride it. Or wait till you can if it isn't finished yet.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks Squash, I will take your advice and get out and see how it works.