mtbr member
    May 2011

Front Derailleur Adjustment - Switching from Apex 50/34 to X.0 42/28 crankset

Hello, all.
    I recently decided to swap out the drive train on my homebrew Salsa Vaya. I'm going from Apex to X.0 as it suits my use better. My problem is that I cannot for the life of me get the front derailleur properly adjusted.

I have a SRAM X.9 2x10 low clamp front derailleur which I bought here:
    eBay

The reason I went with X.9 for the front is because I couldn't find an X.0 front derailleur that specifically said it was compatible with a 42/28 crankset, even though the crankset is also X.0. I assume there is one, I just couldn't find any dealers that said it.

I cannot get the front derailleur to reliably move the chain from the small chainring to the big chainring. The chain catchers on the big wheel will catch the chain, but have an extremely difficult time actually getting the chain onto the 42t chainring.

I have the Low limit screw bottomed out, I have the high limit screw backed almost all the way out, and my cable is tight. The only time I get a good shift from small to big is when the chain is on the outermost cassette rings.

Looking into this I think it might be a problem with the chainline. It just never occurred to me that going from one compact double to another [smaller] one would make such a huge difference.

Any input/advice? I'm fine with getting a new front derailleur if I need to if that is the problem, and in fact would be willing to if someone could tell me specifically which X.0 derailleur is compatible with the 42/28 crankset.

Thanks.

Here's the specifics:
    Cassette: Same 11-32
    Rear Mech: Old Apex Medium Cage / New X.0 Type 2 Medium Cage
    Cranks: Old Apex 50/34 / New X.0 42/28
    Front Mech: Old Apex 2x10 high clamp/bottom pull / New 2x10 X.9 low clamp/bottom pull
    Shifters: Old Apex Doubletap / New Force Doubletap
    Chain: Same 10 speed PC1070

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I went home and removed the cranks and bottom bracket, thinking it may be a spacer issue. I had the LBS install the bottom bracket on the initial build so I wasn't sure how the spacers were laid out. Once I had the bottom bracket out I found that there were no spacers to move!

I gave up and am taking the bike to the LBS today after fraying and ruining yet another derailleur cable from the constant pinching/unpinching on the derailleur for readjustments. Hopefully they can make things play good together because I've never had this much trouble with a derailleur before.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think you will find that MTB front derailleurs are not compatible with road bike shifters. Put your old derailleur back on.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's not the problem. All of SRAM's Exact Actuation stuff works together.