Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Front derailleur adjustment-middle to large ring

I've done this adjustment and even installed several sets of derailleaurs over the years, but there still seems to be this mysterious setup thing that I always forget and seem to nail by luck.

New derailleurs comes with this adjustment block thing that keep the assembly locked in one position to get the clamp down height, does anyone know what this position is without this adjustment block? How high is the derailleur supposed to be over the chain rings?

Also working on a friends bike - XT front derailleur and cheap rapid fire shifters. Anyways, I can get the granny and middle rings to shift fine, but the shifter doesn't want to pull out far enough to the large ring? Followed my XTR instructions to the tee, played around with the limit screws, no luck so far?

Suspecting it could be a damaged shifter - friends claims several big crashes. Any ideas?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    The Park Tool Repair/Service section has great info on front derailleurs, specifically your question about 'how high over the chain ring'. Also double check the derailleurs alignment. Basically, just go over the entire info on the Park site:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

If your shifter won't go all the way to the large ring, and you've made sure the limit screw is backed way out, then the shifter isn't pulling the cable far enough to move the derailleur all the way. Make sure when in the small ring in the front the cable isn't too slack. Also, with the limit screw backed out so it doesn't hit the stop when the derailleur is moved to the large ring, see if you can move the derailleur cage far enough by hand. If you can do it manually but not with the shifter, then you need to play with the cable or maybe get another shifter.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Great tip, thanks for the advice. Working on lower line components makes me appreciate top line stuff.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]