( )
    Nov 2004

Front Derailleur adjustment in 2X9 setup

I setup a 2X9 drivetrain on my bike and it's worked OK for a few rides, but the way it shifts is starting to bug me. I thought I did an OK job limiting the travel of the derailleur (it moves the chain and is relatively quiet in most gear combos), but I have to go through 2 clicks on my trigger shifter to get it to move the chain just one position. So is there a step by step way to limit the FD travel so that I'm only using two increments on my LX shifter, either just position 1 and 2 or position 2 and 3, so that I don't have this sort of intermediate position where all the derailler does is rub the chain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My gear is LX integrated shifter/brake lever, 32 and 22t up front and XTR bottom pull FD.

Thanks,
    Steve

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Sorry, I have no help to offer.

Does anyone else think that front indexing is stupid? I had, and still have, no complaints with friction shifting for the front. Clean shifting. Able to trim to prevent chain rub. Simple!

Seems that only road STI and Dual Control shifters would require indexing to work on the front.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have to agree with Shiggy, I tried to set up my friends bike with an indexed front shifter and it was a pain in the wahzoo. Even after finally gaetting it to shift properly it rubbed in some combos. I'm running 2x9 with X9, twister front and trigger rear and it is an excellent setup. I suggest installing a front twist shifter.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

( )
    Nov 2004
    okay thanks guys. I might be able to borrow a twist shifter from someone. Otherwise, Shiggy, I found this a Shimano TY22 here:
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/LD8764
    Is that any good? It says "not meant for rugged offroad use"

What are some other options in thumb/trigger shifters?

RIP Friendgirl

Old School Thumb Shifter

Don't laugh, for a 2 ring bashguard setup theres nothing finer.

Quote Originally Posted by steevo
    okay thanks guys. I might be able to borrow a twist shifter from someone. Otherwise, Shiggy, I found this a Shimano TY22 here:
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/LD8764
    Is that any good? It says "not meant for rugged offroad use"

What are some other options in thumb/trigger shifters?
    I would use that shifter. They are not subject to much stress and at that price, who cares if if wears out in a year or so (and I doubt if it will).
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bordershy
    Don't laugh, for a 2 ring bashguard setup theres nothing finer.
    Agreed. I ran a two ring setup with a barend shifter for many, many years. It was a toggle switch. Instant and easy, even with straight cut rings.
    mtbtires.com

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steevo
    ...so is there a step by step way to limit the FD travel so that I'm only using two increments on my LX shifter, either just position 1 and 2 or position 2 and 3, so that I don't have this sort of intermediate position where all the derailler does is rub the chain?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Yes, there is. Adjust the height of the derailleur, set the limit screws, adjust cable tension and you're there. The front derailleur will only travel two positions. In your case you have it going to only position 1 and 2 on the trigger. Good job buddy, it worked flawlessly tonight.