mtbr member
    Oct 2008

front derailleur on 2001 pipeline?

Greetings, I want to put a front derailleur on my 2001 Rocy Mountain Piupeline. I got it used with one ring and a anti-fall-off chain device. lol I'd like to change the bike to more of a cross country kind of thing. As it is there are no cable routing devices around the BB. Can any body help? Is there such thing as a clamp on cable hanger? As it is I happened on a bottom pull derailleur for two bucks so I bought it. PLease look at your bike and tell me what to do.

Former Bike Wrench
    I remember those bikes, they came stock with a front derailluer. According to Bikepedia it was a top pull 31.8 clamp. The picture shows that it is clearly a bottom swing as well. The picture also seems to show a housing stop on the swingarm near the seatstays

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes thats it. I see that I need to get that particular derailleur. Thanks for the help. Damn it sounds so easy but I live on a small island and the store front that calls itself a bike store has yet again gone south to the the sun in Mexico. thanks for the help.

Former Bike Wrench
    Edit...I meant bottom clamp (top swing)...make sure to note this

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Damn, I noted this Last night when I tried the "New" LX bottom swing shifter on the bike. I had to knonk on a guys door that used to be a bike store, and by magic, or at the time I thought it was magic, he had one. In old stock, with a price tag of fifty dollars on it, I got it for twenty-five. I got home and almost cried. Now I have two wrong front derailleurs. I just have to laugh. The other one is a bottom pull.