mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. front derailler, Deore XT

hi, i have an altus front and i could get a XT front, i know it would be an improvement but would the diff be really noticable? also i have sram shifters. should i change them to shimano even if i only switch the front derailler or are the sram shifters for front derailler compatible?

also, i have a sram 5.0 rear what does it compare to vs shimano? like acera? alivio?
    thanks
    oh and currently my front derailler isin'T like clamped on my frame(doesn't go all around only like half and seems to clip at bottom or something, i could switch to a clamp one right?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Your current shifters will be compatable with the new XT front derailleur if you choose to upgrade. Never seen a front derailleur that doesn't clamp around the frame tube, but if you wanted to make the switch you would just need to find out what the diameter of your frame at the clamp point so you can select the correct clamp size. As far as noticing a difference in performance maybe a little. Front derailleurs are pretty basic IMO. The XT will definatly be stronger. SRAM 5.0 is the entry line, so compare it to shimano deore/alivo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    and is a sram X.7 rear derailler a lot better? comparable to what?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The X.7 is the next step up from the 5.0. I'd say the X.7 would compare to the LX line from shimano. I think all of the SRAM X.# series derailleurs are better than their shimano counterparts. As far as improvement over the 5.0 I couldn't say too much as I have never had the chance to ride a 5.0. Just a side note I use an X.9 (I think its just a lighter version of the X.7) and it is the best rear derailleur I have ever used (and I've had shimano alivo all the way to XTR in the past).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    okay and i can get an x.9 for 20$ more than the x.7 (20$ canadian) is the step up really noticeable? and i want something durable also.

thank you
    do you have any experience with sram trigger shifter?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The difference between the X.7 and the X.9 is just 20g of weight. I'd save the $20 and go with the X.7, unless you really want to save twenty grams of weight. They should both be plenty durable. I don't have any experience with the SRAM trigger shifters.

mtbr member
    On the derailler, sounds like you have an "E type" front derailler, which is not bad, just different. You could possibly use a regular clamp style front der, but you can easily get the E type for the same price. Some folks think the E type is better for one reason or another. I don't know about that, never needed to use one.

You could also save a bunch of bucks to fund your rear mech upgrade by skipping the XT and going with an LX front der. They work fine, maybe a few grams heavier. Actually, count out dollar bills to match the price difference between the LX and XT and that's probably about the weight difference.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoojp
    On the derailler, sounds like you have an "E type" front derailler, which is not bad, just different. You could possibly use a regular clamp style front der, but you can easily get the E type for the same price. Some folks think the E type is better for one reason or another. I don't know about that, never needed to use one.

You could also save a bunch of bucks to fund your rear mech upgrade by skipping the XT and going with an LX front der. They work fine, maybe a few grams heavier. Actually, count out dollar bills to match the price difference between the LX and XT and that's probably about the weight difference.
    Yup could be an E Type. Also called BB Type. Does it look like this?
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...ku=8110&brand=
    The only problem with them is you have to remove your cranks to replace them.

I agree with using LX for the front derailleur. I use an LX front der. with Sram shifters and the front shifts flawlessly. Pricepoint shows the LX and XT as the same weight.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/128...ack_Silver.htm
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11295-105_SHIXY3-3-Parts-57-Derailleurs/Shimano-XT-Front-Derailleur-(Top-Swing)-M750-.htm

I use to have an LX rear der. Worked ok. After smashing it on a rock I got an XT. The XT rear der. does shift a little crisper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yup seems like i have an E type front.
    if i get a new rear it would probably be an X.7 with the X.7 triggers.(also change chain and cassette as they are now almost 4 years and starting to skip.

how's the quality of the x.7 shifters?
    i'm tired of grip shift and want some triggers
    thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have never had any problems with any SRAM stuff quality wise. I am sure the X.7 shifters are a good buy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    would a 9spd cassette fit on my rear hub? i jsut thought of that, i have this : shimano fh-rm40-8 .
    thanks