mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Front Derailer issue.....SRAM X.7

I just bought the SRAM X.7 gear setup for my Specialized M2, but I am having a hard time with my front derailer though. I went ahead and swapped out my rear Shimano derailer to SRAM X.7 but thought that the Shimano Deore front derailer would be fine. For the life of me, I can't adjust the front derailer to shift smoothly and consistently. I don't know how many times I have adjusted the derailer, but to no avail. It rubs on the derailer, gets stuck on certain gears, or the chain falls off the rings completely! Should I just go ahead and buy a SRAM X.7 front derailer? Would that help? Is that what you should run? Any...suggestions? Thanks in advance!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by montgod
    I just bought the SRAM X.7 gear setup for my Specialized M2, but I am having a hard time with my front derailer though. I went ahead and swapped out my rear Shimano derailer to SRAM X.7 but thought that the Shimano Deore front derailer would be fine. For the life of me, I can't adjust the front derailer to shift smoothly and consistently. I don't know how many times I have adjusted the derailer, but to no avail. It rubs on the derailer, gets stuck on certain gears, or the chain falls off the rings completely! Should I just go ahead and buy a SRAM X.7 front derailer? Would that help? Is that what you should run? Any...suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    Your going have some chain rub in certain gears but the Deore der. should work fine with the Sram der.

-shift to granny in front and big cog in back and unbolt the cable from front der.
    -adjust LOW screw on front der. till it's a few mm's from chain
    -pull cable tight and reattach to der
    -shift to big ring and smallest cog in back
    -adjust HIGH screw till the chain is as close as possible w/o touching
    -adjust cable tension at the shifter till there is no rub(or very little) in this gear
    -shift to the middle cog in the back and shift thru the gears up front to check
    -if it shifts slowly to the bigger rings then increase cable tension, if it shifts slowly to the smaller rings then decrease cable tension

The key is to get the low screw setting right THEN attach the cable tightly to the der. and adjust the high screw. Also, make sure the front der. is aligned correctly, it should be a few mm's above the big ring and the front of the cage should be angled slightly inwards. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm running that combo and it works fine after normal setup.

As well as the fine advice from rroeder, how are your cables these days? And are you using all 9-speed components? It worked ok with my old Truatrivs with 8 speed rings, but the single biggest improvement came from a new crankset with it's new chainrings (RaceFace Atlas, with their SHIFT tech rings). Shifts real nice now.

Also had problems with the X.7 gear indicator not indicating properly, but opening up the housing and repositioning the indicator tape wasn't a big deal... took a couple of goes to get it right though.