mtbr member
    Oct 2006

We the people ... Front derailer dragging in granny gear.

Brand new Ellsworth built up bike with XT front derailer and X.9 rear. When I shift into granny gear the chain drags vertically, not side to side, on the front derailer no matter what rear gear I am using. Bike shop tells me that is "normal" for a full suspension, I totally don't believe that but this is the first F/S bike I have owned so I don't know for sure. I can't believe that the Ellsworth geometry is that unique that this issue cannot be resolved by doing some tweeking to the front derailer?? I have not tried adjusting it yet nor do I think I should be the one working on the 2 week old bike but I guess I will if I have to.
    Thanks for any input!!
    Last edited by co_biker; 03-26-2007 at 03:25 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by co_biker
    ...When I shift into granny gear the chain drags lateraly, not side to side, on the front derailer...

Laterally means side to side.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ok, sorry I unconfused the statement...

MTB B'dos
    If by your description you mean the chain is "Sitting" on the bottom of the derailer cage then it's easy to check if it's set up properly - just shift into the middle ring and look at the space you have between the cage and the top of the teeth on the big ring, it should only be about 2-3mm anything more and it's too high up on the seat tube and needs moving down more towards the BB.

New derailers normally come with an attached piece of plastic to show you exactly how much space there should be.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have the same problem on my Azonic\Xtension [very similar geometry to the Ellsworth]...it is not an adjustment problem.
    I cannot lower the derailler anymore otherwise it will touch the large chainring when shifting outwards.
    The chain drags in the granny ring in any gear after 3rd...it has to do with the chain line and BB being very high on this specific bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by guidodg
    I have the same problem on my Azonic\Xtension [very similar geometry to the Ellsworth]...it is not an adjustment problem.
    I cannot lower the derailler anymore otherwise it will touch the large chainring when shifting outwards.
    The chain drags in the granny ring in any gear after 3rd...it has to do with the chain line and BB being very high on this specific bike...
    I was afraid of that, I ran into that same issue where if I lowered the derailer anymore it ran into the upper chain ring. Poor design IMO. Any other input out there?
    Thanks!!

Meh.
    Get a bigger granny gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    bigger granny gear won't help much...and I need all the gearing I can get since I do some seriously steep single track climbing..

Meh.
    How much more clearance do you need?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    a couple of extra mm in 4th gear between the chain and the bottom of the front derailler cage would be nice...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    if you are climbing so steep you need the granny gear lose your big ring and lower the front derailer.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by co_biker
    Brand new Ellsworth built up bike with XT front derailer and X.9 rear. When I shift into granny gear the chain drags vertically, not side to side, on the front derailer no matter what rear gear I am using. Bike shop tells me that is "normal" for a full suspension, I totally don't believe that but this is the first F/S bike I have owned so I don't know for sure. I can't believe that the Ellsworth geometry is that unique that this issue cannot be resolved by doing some tweeking to the front derailer?? I have not tried adjusting it yet nor do I think I should be the one working on the 2 week old bike but I guess I will if I have to.
    Thanks for any input!!
    My enduro has a very finicky Fd, has to be dead perfect or it rubs, sometimes only on the stand, once you sit on it the geometry changes and it stops. I've found that you need to move it around slightly to get it right, sometimes just angling it slightly will do it. first check the height , you should be about a pennys thickness above your big ring.
    then adjust the limit screws. then if its rubbing adjust the cable at the shifter (1/4 turn at a time) if you cant get it by now youll have to try angling it.

BTW, since I got rid of the big ring and got a bash guard, no more issues with rubbing (prob. easier to adjust without having the big ring)

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by guidodg
    a couple of extra mm in 4th gear between the chain and the bottom of the front derailler cage would be nice...
    How about a smaller big ring then?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    sure, a smaller big ring would help, getting rid of it altogether even better...but I use it the way it is now and don't really want to change it...

I wish Sram would bring out a front derailler for a different chain line angle...would work like a dream..