Thread: Front Der swap

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Front Der swap

Ok, I'm switchin parts from a steel to a Ti frame. My X-Gen front der will fit either a 34.1 or 28.6 mm seat tube and the TI is 31.8 mm. the X-gen is also bottom swing and will interfere with the bottle cage.

the X-gen has worked fine and has low mileage and could be shimmed to fith the seat tube and i could probably also put spacers under the bottle cage to get that to fit as well.

I'm considering just getting a 32mm clamp XT top swing instead. It will definitely look and fit better, also a bit lighter. will I notice a performance increase or decrease?

any thoughts appreciated.
    The Dude Abides

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Go with the XT....

low mount. It's never a good idea to shim around water bottle cages, brazeons etc. It usually creates more clearance problems than it solves. As far as performance goes, they shift a bit differently but you won't notice that much of a difference in performance. The SRAM does have a bit beefier cage so it does shift a bit more positively, but other than that they perform about the same.

You do have another option if you want to stick with SRAM though. This year SRAM does offer a low clamp X7 front derailleur. Through trickle down the X7 is pretty much identical to last years front d, while the X9 received a few "imporvements" for 07. So you wouldn't be giving up anything from the sound of it. I can't really say how the X7 performs for sure as I've haven't had the oportunity to use one yet. But you may want to check into it. It's at least another option.

Either way I'd say go with a low clamp design for the front derailleur. It will avoid any possible issues that you may end up with in using the high clamp.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"