mtbr missionary
    May 2005

Front der options on a vt2?

Gday folks, I need a new front derailleur on my VT2 (the Liahona's, um, in the shop) as it's got way too much slop in the cage to shift consistently.

Now I know I need a 34.9 top swing bottom pull, but I was hoping to upgrade from the LX that's there to an XT or XTR. Better shifting just seems, well, better.

Strangely there seems to be very few on ebay that suit and aren't either old 8spd ones or the new dual pull ones, which I've heard may not fit properly due to the suspension.
    Anyone know if that's true (for a large VT) that I need the older bottom pull only?
    Any specific XT or XTR models I need to avoid for 22,32,44 (were older XTR's different sized rings) or is that a non issue?
    I'd be happy with an XT, are the wide link 9's much of an improvement over the 8spd ones, or is that neither here nor there?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=3]We're fast, we're extreme, we're here to save souls.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Alfred
    Now I know I need a 34.9 top swing bottom pull, but I was hoping to upgrade from the LX that's there to an XT or XTR. Better shifting just seems, well, better.
    I switched from the a Deore to an XT (M760) on my VT3 (same frame as yours -- large size) and the shifting improved. I assume this is largely due to the longer pivot and much larger, stiffer cage. I can't comment on LX vs. XT, but given that the XT is only a few dollars more than an LX, it seems like the XT is the logical choice.

Strangely there seems to be very few on ebay that suit and aren't either old 8spd ones or the new dual pull ones, which I've heard may not fit properly due to the suspension.
    Anyone know if that's true (for a large VT) that I need the older bottom pull only?
    Apparently, this is not true -- the dual pull works fine on my VT. As noted, I'm using the M760, which is the current top swing, dual pull model of the XT front derailleur.

Any specific XT or XTR models I need to avoid for 22,32,44 (were older XTR's different sized rings) or is that a non issue?
    I can't really answer this, but I am unaware of any issues in this regard.

Larry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is what you need- Jenson USA has the XT M750, Top Swing, Bottom Pull, 34.9mm clamp for $19.50

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...erailleur.aspx

The M760 will work- the problem is that the cable pinch bolt points right at the swing arm- so iin order to tighten the pinch bolt you must hold the derailleur in the outer position with one hand while holding the cable in place and trying to tighten the pinch bolt- a real pain in the a...

The older M750 will have the cable pinch bolt on the top- much easier to get to.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    The M760 will work- the problem is that the cable pinch bolt points right at the swing arm- so iin order to tighten the pinch bolt you must hold the derailleur in the outer position with one hand while holding the cable in place and trying to tighten the pinch bolt- a real pain in the a...

The older M750 will have the cable pinch bolt on the top- much easier to get to.
    I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's all "that" hard to do what you're describing. Once you get the cable in the ballpark, it's not hard to make an adjustment if need be by leaving the bike in the largest chain ring and shifting down without moving the pedals. The chainring/chain holds the derailleur in position, which allows the cable to go slack, making it easy to unclamp/reclamp the cable. Small adjustments can of course just be done on the shifter.

The advantage of the 760 is a better designed cage using more metal. This makes the cage stiffer, which can result in more accurate shifting. I don't know if there are other differences as well, or "how much" difference the new cage design makes, but I personally felt it was worth going with the newer design.

Larry

mtbr missionary
    May 2005
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    It's a little redundant now, I caught up with a mate yesterday who's a hardcore downhiller and turns all his bikes into single ringers, and he gave me a spare lx one he had lying around. If I manage to wear this out I might try the xt760 (or 750) next time.
    [SIZE=3]We're fast, we're extreme, we're here to save souls.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lalittle
    The chainring/chain holds the derailleur in position, which allows the cable to go slack, making it easy to unclamp/reclamp the cable...
    Larry
    Providing that you are able to get the cable attached in the first place- which requires holding against the derailleur spring and keeping the cable in the pathway to get the pinch bolt tight. Compared to setting up the M750 it is a pain in the a..

Quote Originally Posted by lalittle
    The advantage of the 760 is a better designed cage using more metal. This makes the cage stiffer, which can result in more accurate shifting.
    Larry
    And heavier by some 30%. More accurate?- the front system is already very accurate- in 6 years of using the M750 (the same one derailleur- have yet to wear it out) I never had a mis-shift on the front.

The real reason for the existance of the M760 is to reduce the number of front derailleur variations from 12 to 2- since the M760 comes with shims to fit the tubing diameters and can accept cable pulls from the top or bottom- the only option is top swing or bottom swing.
    I bike; therefore, I work