mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Friction in the cranks

I got back from downhilling and I think while cleaning it i did some damage.

Basically, there is a lot of friction when i try and rotate my cranks. I've barely rotated them to minimize wear. Tomorrow i'm going to go buy the tool to unscrew the BB, but I am thinking this has happened before and there are steps to take. I have Raceface X-Type BB, the gold one with the bearings on the outside. What should I be looking for? is it the bearings that are no longer greased? if so, should i really have a shop look at this or can i do it myself (bear in mind i'm not all that great at mechanics)?

Thanks for your support
    Giant Faith 2
    Specialized Epic
    Be Strong in Your Ignorance

Baba Booey!
    sounds to me like you've got some frozen bearings. you can either replace the whole cup (both sides) or you can get new bearings from enduro (google their site), you will also need a tool to pull and set the bearings, which enduro also sells. The bearings are inexpensive, and last longer than the stock RF or shimano bearings, but the tool is expensive. To me, its worth it to have the right tool for the job, but I'm sure you could pull the bearings w/o the tool and set the new ones if you're careful.