Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Freeride super low setup F 36/20 - R 36/11

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  david8613 
#1 ·
I am running 36/20 chain rings (re-worked XT crank) & 12/36 deore cassette and am totally sure this is where Freeride gearing should go for Freeride tours…

I seem to be alone here WHY!!!..:confused: .. so hear is my little sermon for anybody who is interested :D

I am TOP FIT, live by the Alps and ride often 4000+ height meters per week on my heavy steal sprung freeride bike…. to get me on cool DH trails…. i.e. I don’t need it because I am fat and unfit..

With 20front/36 rear I have ca 17% more bottom end torque than a normal setup…and it still moves you enough to keep you upright.

I am talking getting up clean…without leaving the pedals… from bottom to top…..no stopping

This in the Alps gets me up rough and almost impossibly steep climbs (for which there are many), and even on just steep climbs I use it loads. The long fork has to be strapped down.

I get up climbs now I didn’t get up on my 22/34/44 - 11/34 (much lighter) All-mountain bike

A 36 chain ring, bash & guide roller is UTTERLY sufficient for any…. Go up a mountain….come down again.... mountain tour.

OK.. 20 to 36 is too low for a quick technical burst of speed, but a soon as the going is steady I can drop back into super low again.

Pushing up a steep hill is really no fun… particularly a heavy bike

Anyone who says they “just don’t need it” has no idea what really hard steep is.. and ultimately you could always find something here that would beat a professional on a carbon hardtail.

I am at a loss with the new offerings from Shimano:confused:

My sermon…

Am I really alone???

Cheers

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.