mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here. Which Freehub to repair Shimano C201?

It seems I've broken my freehub. I noticed some play in the rear wheel after a crash, took apart the hub and there is some stripped thread on the rightmost side of the part labeled inner-race and pawls below:

It also looks like one of the washers exploded.

My hub says it's a Shimano C201, and the cassette/derailleur is a Shimano Deore LX 9-speed (bought in 2000).

I'm converting this bike to a hybrid/road bike, so I don't really want to upgrade the component, just replace. Thanks for any help!

-james

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I did some more research and found a Shimano PDF that states the freehub part number is Y-3SL 98030 - and from Sheldon's page it appears to be a "HyperGlide-C" style.

I found another document that states the FH-M475 hub uses the same 98030 part, but it looks discontinued. I found yet another document on the M475 that has a column "FH-M525 Interchangeability", that states the part is usable. The M525 lists it's hub as a Y-3A3 98020.

Looks like I could buy a M525 freehub, but the entire hub is no longer available. How hard is it to transfer the dust cap from the old hub if my cone doesn't fit the new one?

-james

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    FWIW, I ordered the "Deore M525/M510, Alivio Mc18" freehub, and finally received it. It seems to fit fine, didn't need to replace the dust cap.

-james
    [SIZE="1"]2000 Trek 6500 HT
    2008 Ibex Asta Comp X7 FS[/SIZE]