mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Freehub / pawl lube / maintenance ???

I just rebuilt a Hadley hub and a teflon based grease was used to coat the pawls and ring gear. Originally the hub was pretty load now it is a whisper. Decided to look @ my WTB / Formula freehub - couldn't figure out how to dissasemble it so I shot grease under the seals - now it is smoother and quiet. Are loud hubs in need of lube ? I have several XT's that click like no tomorrow now I think they have no lube. What's the deal w/ freehubs & pawl maintenance ? Thanx

All 26.5" all the time!
    Technically, you're not supposed to use grease on freewheel pawls. They may stick and cause the mechanism to fail. A heavy weight oil is all that's reccomended.

That being said, I've used a light grease in my shimano freehubs with no problems (in warm climates). It does quiet them down a bit.

trail "cleaner"

no grease on Hadleys!

Grease on Hadleys will cause the pawls to stick close and or slow their reaction to where you'll be skipping while they are trying to engage the gear. This will ruin them in a short manner. I use synthetic motor oil for the lubrication and never have issues. Another idea if you are sold on grease is to mix it with the oil to cut the viscosity.
    No dabs allowed!