Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is this freehub body still OK to use?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  PepperJester 
#1 ·
I took my WTB Laserdisc Lite rear hub apart last night to replace the 2 bearings in the hub shell. This is the first time I did this and it was actually much easier than I thought (many thanks and props to Jerk Chicken, who had posted a great thread about the service procedure for this hub with really good pics :thumbsup: ), but since I am a noob to working on hubs, I cannot judge if the freehub is still OK to use or not. Please see below...

Note: This is the first time the cassette came off since I bought the bike 1.5 years ago. Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
...many thanks and props to Jerk Chicken, who had posted a great thread about the service procedure for this hub with really good pics
I'm sure JC would be pleased, but Alan from Chumba Bikes asked for JC to be "dealt with" (read: banned) after a disagreement in the Chumba forum. No more useful tech advice and service info from that ex-member.

#6 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Take a file and smooth out the tops of the ridges. Then buy the correct cassette (XT, XTR, PG-990). From the looks of it, it had a PG-980 on it which will not protect it enough.
Thanks for the good advice! I smoothed out the top of the ridges using emory sandpaper and it worked like a charm. My new XT cassette went on without any problems. After seeing the XT cassette in comparison to the Sram PG-980 cassette, I can definitely see your point about the Sram cassette gouging the freehub body way more than the Shimano cassette.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.