mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Freehub Body Repair or Trash the Whole Wheel? II (The Sequel)

After having Performance replace the Freehub body, going back after one ride to have it tightened, it has come loose again after just 2 rides. It also broke a spoke on the non-drive side (I assume from the torque of making steep granny gear climbs on a wonky cassette). I guess I'll go back to Performance again tomorrow. Any ideas of what's happening? Need to marinate with loctite?, more than one kind of freehub body? (I had heard they have different dust shields?). Thanks.

How does a freehub body problem break a spoke? I don't remember your previous post well, so how do you know your freehub body is loose? Did you have the hub checked out for proper adjustment, broken axle, etc while in the shop?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

original post

Here's the original post. I'll have the Performance mechanic look further today into what else could be going on. When they do retighten the freehub, the bearings and axle all seem fine and it works up to the point it works loose. The broken spoke might be coincidental or related. The spoke broke inside the nipple and there isn't any damage, so I assume it is from tension and not from 'trauma'.
    Thanks for the advice.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brief sensation of a "no-chain" day (be like Lance) where I was pedaling effortlessly was quickly replaced with the realization that instead I blew out my freehub body. Walking home I pondered 'Do I repair it or will the cost be close to buying a new rear wheel?' It's XT disc and mavic rims a year old. Any cost/benefit analysis, spread sheets, white papers etc. appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That, my friend, is the bent hub shell manifesting itself. Blue loctite did not fix mine. Put the bike in a stand and spin the rear wheel, and notice how the cassette wobbles because the freehub mechanism is no longer square to the hub. Time to start shopping for a better but expensive hub (Hadley, Hope, DT, King).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

The Final Solution

You sir are right. The answer is: "Trash the whole thing". I took the bike back to Performance who were 'too busy' to look at it. So, after a day I retrieved it and went to Supergo/Performance in Oceanside. (In an aside, it seems that Supergo takes a fair amount of abuse on these forums, but I have to say they have always been great to me.) A mechanic was helpful right away, broke it down and saw that the aluminum was stripping out....several pieces of aluminum 'spaghetti' told the story of a stripped out hub. I purchased an XT/Mavic 717 for $84 and the mechanic tuned the wheel and swapped the disc, salvaged the new freehub...all gratis. I now have an extra freehub and will be back on the trail today.