mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Freehub Body Repair or Trash the whole wheel?

The brief sensation of a "no-chain" day (be like Lance) where I was pedaling effortlessly was quickly replaced with the realization that instead I blew out my freehub body. Walking home I pondered 'Do I repair it or will the cost be close to buying a new rear wheel?' It's XT disc and mavic rims a year old. Any cost/benefit analysis, spread sheets, white papers etc. appreciated.

Replace the freehub body if the rest of the wheel is still good, should cost 30-35 for the part, replacement relatively simple....http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    It is sometimes cheaper to buy a whole Shimano hub that your LBS has hanging around, rather than just buying the freewheel. I recently replaced my XT freewheel with one from an LX hub that I picked for 1/2 the price of buying a new freewheel. I just wrap the new hub in an old tube and put it in a vice to hold it while getting the freewheel off.

The other alternative is to get a “Morningstar buddy” to clean and relubricate your existing one. This costs about $25 - $30, and you also need a new outboard seal (another $5).

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D2
    The brief sensation of a "no-chain" day (be like Lance) where I was pedaling effortlessly was quickly replaced with the realization that instead I blew out my freehub body. Walking home I pondered 'Do I repair it or will the cost be close to buying a new rear wheel?' It's XT disc and mavic rims a year old. Any cost/benefit analysis, spread sheets, white papers etc. appreciated.
    I've had one replaced, it was way cheaper than a new wheel. The freehub can be tight, from parktool.com: "The bolt is typically very secure and may require much effort to loosen." is an understatement. I needed a benchvise to hole the allen wrench, used the rim as the "breaker bar".

Monte

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D2

One thought.... isn't there a warranty of 2 or 3 years on shimano stuff. Can you take it back to the LBS where it was bought and see if shimano will warranty it?

If not... I bought a used hub off of E-Bay for $10 shipped and tore it apart to fix a bad freehub on my Nukeproof hubs. It was a pretty simple operation... just need an hub vice, or don't care about the donor hub.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On my last (as in last ever) XT hub, the freehub body died, so I replaced that ... while replacing that I noticed the axle was worn and replaced it too ... got everything back together and discovered on the next ride that the hub shell was bent. Sent the hub in to Shimano for warranty (<1 year old), but no dice. Destroyed Shimano disc hubs are pretty common (but the pre-disc hubs were bombproof).

So, my recommendation is throw the hub away and buy a stronger hub (I replaced mine with a Hadley, because the one on my DH bike is still fine after 2 Whistler seasons). Otherwise buy a new XT hub (costs $10 more than the freehub alone) and strip off the parts you need -- that way if the old hub shell is bent, you can get the old rim built onto the new hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks

I took the wheel by my local Performance Bike shop in Pt. Loma (San Diego) to see if they had the freehub in stock. I was going to do the work myself but when they offered to replace it that afternoon for $35, it seemed like a good deal since that was the lowest price I had seen for the part alone on the internet. After the first ride this weekend the freehub was very loose, so back to Performance where they retightened it in 5 mins and after the first ride it was still tight, so I hope it won't be an ongoing problem. So, thanks for the advice....it was a lot cheaper to repair...if it is repaired! Also I realized shimano disc hubs have a new way to attach the disc, so another good reason to repair rather than replace.

Chrome Toaster
    Good call. Shimano hubs are very easy to repair. The freewheels are cheap to replace too. FYI the Deore, LX and XT hubs all share the same freewheel.