Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Polk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    604

    Fragile Sram rear derailluers?

    Does anyone know if Sram has done anything to strengthen thier X.7 and X.9 rear derailluers? The reviews here on MTBR have a lot of people breaking them right near the main pivot the treads to the frame. A friend recently had his X.9 break in that location in a light crash. Since my XT RD is getting pretty worn and the shifters are old, too, I thought this might be a good time to try Sram. While I don't crash much I am still a little leary of putting on anything with a reputation for breaking.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    Does anyone know if Sram has done anything to strengthen thier X.7 and X.9 rear derailluers? The reviews here on MTBR have a lot of people breaking them right near the main pivot the treads to the frame. A friend recently had his X.9 break in that location in a light crash. Since my XT RD is getting pretty worn and the shifters are old, too, I thought this might be a good time to try Sram. While I don't crash much I am still a little leary of putting on anything with a reputation for breaking.
    I doubt most people would break their SRAM derailleur .... unless you are one of those who take 5 ft drops and racing down @ 40 mph along trails.

  3. #3
    SALLGUD
    Reputation: azdrawdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    449

    Dead Wrong

    No need to start BS emotional, irrational posts on this one. Just the facts. No conjectures.

    At 42 years old, I don't do 5ft drops nor do I bomb downhill at 40mph. Been riding/wrenching my own stuff since 1988. Straight XC riding on typical SE trails. This year so far I am at 1800 miles, all singletrack.

    I was, however, one of the original posters that had an X-9 RD snap at the pivot point early this year. I put XTR back on my bikes, continue to ride the same trails, and am still waiting to post about a snapped XTR/XT RD. I promise everyone here (including Hayduke1972) that if it happens, I will post it.

    Michael

  4. #4
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatbay
    I doubt most people would break their SRAM derailleur .... unless you are one of those who take 5 ft drops and racing down @ 40 mph along trails.
    You should read the posts around here more often. What he's refering to is that there have been a LOT of reports of X.9's breaking at the same point for no apparent reason. Most where not involved in major crashes or broke JRA. Its an old problem that has been happening since before the X. series. That said I doubt SRAM will be making any changes to them anytime soon. I think the problem most likely stems from the lack of a pivot there combined with impacts or improper chain length/gear combo's+ suspension growth on some bikes. X.0's also suffer the same problem in a way. Since they are forged around the main pivot they don't brake there. The plastic composite knuckle gives way first and the cage just snaps right off. Its another very common occurence reported here and I've witnessed it happen 3 times.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    34
    I have not riden 1800 miles on my X.9 yet ..... but I have put more than 400 miles on my X.9 on my local trails for about 6 months now. Nothing has broken yet. That's another data point.

    On another note, I moved from XT to the X.9. Can't be happier with the better shifting I got. WIth the SRAM, I also don't have to deal with the constant need to tweak my derailleur and shifter after a couple of rides that the XT demanded.

    For what it is worth, this is my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

  6. #6
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,200

    Check the SRAM forum for more

    I happen to like my X.7, and was quite skeptical about the JRA breakage. Read the posts in the SRAM forum regarding X.9 breakage and judge for yourself. There are quite a few posts to sort through.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cincinnatibuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatbay
    I doubt most people would break their SRAM derailleur .... unless you are one of those who take 5 ft drops and racing down @ 40 mph along trails.
    See some carnage that resulted from the failure of and X.9:


    http://blink1.www4.50megs.com/brokenecdm.htm

    This bike has never see a drop or a jump and there are few real rocks in Ohio where I do most of my riding. The bent chain was blamed by SRAM, although it never skipped or chattered even once just before the knuckle gave-way. I say the the broken derailleur that trashed my bike bent the chain just like it bent the shock-stay and the spokes on my wheel. Too bad SRAM is too busy CYA instead of helping out its customers for a good shifting, but fragile derailleur.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Polk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    604
    Everything I'm reading here coincides with everything else I have heard. There are people that have had many trouble-free miles, but there are also quite a few people that have had one break under low stress conditions. I have never heard anyone say that about Shimano rear derailluers. I think for now I will stick with the proven reliability of Shimano...Sram are you listening???

  9. #9
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,468

    Been hammering my for years with no problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    You should read the posts around here more often. What he's refering to is that there have been a LOT of reports of X.9's breaking at the same point for no apparent reason. Most where not involved in major crashes or broke JRA. Its an old problem that has been happening since before the X. series. That said I doubt SRAM will be making any changes to them anytime soon. I think the problem most likely stems from the lack of a pivot there combined with impacts or improper chain length/gear combo's+ suspension growth on some bikes. X.0's also suffer the same problem in a way. Since they are forged around the main pivot they don't brake there. The plastic composite knuckle gives way first and the cage just snaps right off. Its another very common occurence reported here and I've witnessed it happen 3 times.
    My X9 has been strong.

    Jaybo

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,659
    Improper xt rd installation? Been running my xt rd since '00 and the only times I"ve had to adjust it was after changing the cable. Of course it could be you just got a bum one. My wifes xt is about 8 months older than mine and gives the same reliable service.

    As for shifting I'm not sure I understand what's different about SRAM. I push the lever it shifts. What could be better?

  11. #11
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    My X9 has been strong.

    Jaybo
    Most people will have no problem with them. The issue being discussed here is that the ones that do break do so at the same recurring location/fashion. The reports of failure here are also higher than any other derailleur.

  12. #12
    Ex-Clydesdale
    Reputation: Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    600
    I didn't want to believe what I've been reading about the rear derailleurs either.

    However, this past Sunday I was out for a ride in the snow. I was literally just riding along on a flat section at an easy pace (how fast can you go in 8 inches of snow) when something gave out. I looked back to find my X.9 derailleur hanging on by the chain and cable, it completely snapped beneath the frame pivot. Bike only has around 600 miles on it, Cannondale Prophet.

    I wonder if they'll warranty it. *hmph*
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

  13. #13
    My gloves stink
    Reputation: Appendage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,437

    4000 miles on Sram XO and no problems

    4000 miles on Sram XO and no problems. Still solid, springs are strong, pivots are tights.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

  14. #14
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,629
    I have SRAM X0's on my VP Free, 5 Spot and IF hardtail. Been using SRAM rear derailleurs for about 5 or 6 years. I weigh 185ish and like to do 3-5 foot drops, fast technical descents, and rock garden grinders. Raced XC, DH and 24 Hour on SRAM. Never broke a derailleur. Always perfect shifting. Never going back to Chimp-mano.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  15. #15
    Ex-Clydesdale
    Reputation: Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    600
    Has anyone ever had any luck with getting SRAM to warranty a broken derailleur?
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

  16. #16
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    Has anyone ever had any luck with getting SRAM to warranty a broken derailleur?
    Back in 1999.

    The warrenty derailer broke in the same place too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    123
    i had a x7 that broke after getting pushed into my rear wheel by a branch when I was biking which broke it off its mount. but i would expect that to happen to any rear derailer. I had 700 miles on that derailer and before that happened I had no issues with it. I ride very agressively too going off dropoffs regulary as well as going through rock gardens. I replaced that derailer with a x9 after that which is significanly better. To me the x9 seems better than my dads xtr rear derailer.

  18. #18
    Ex-Clydesdale
    Reputation: Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    600
    Picked up an X.7 to replace my broken X.9 for now. I figure it'll probably break, too, so why spend more than I have to on it. I'll probably still send in my broken derailleur though to have them warranty it.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    25

    They've been very very good to me!

    The guys at SRAM/AVID/ROCKSHOX have been very, very good to me. I had a terrible squeling problem with Avid's Ultimate brakes on a Headshok. Chris corresponded with me by e-mail and on the phone in a very curtious and professional manner many times until the problem was fixed. He sent me other style brakes to try and showed a real interest in making things right. It took alot of experimentation and he worked with me through the whole process. The problem was that the brakes where too precise for a Headshok with ceramic braking surfaces on my Crossmax wheels. The fix was to use a brake booster with non-ceramic pads. I also had a stick go through my X.0 long cage rear derailleur and spokes. It bent the cage but did not brake at the point everyone else seems to have trouble with. Anyway, it wasn't a warranty issue because of a stick going through my wheel. I sent it to SRAM to get it repaired and dealt with Adam. He was just as helpful and considerate as Chris was when I had the brake issues. When my fixed derailleur was lost in shipping, they sent me a brand new one. I feel confident that if I ever have a warranty issue, SRAM will be there for me. QUOTE=Dwayne]Has anyone ever had any luck with getting SRAM to warranty a broken derailleur?[/QUOTE]

  20. #20
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,468

    Seems to be an issue for some riders

    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Most people will have no problem with them. The issue being discussed here is that the ones that do break do so at the same recurring location/fashion. The reports of failure here are also higher than any other derailleur.
    I was just giving my experience with the derailleur. Supergo has the X9 on sale for $53 right now. Buy 3-4 and you can break three before you spend the dough on a XO.

    Jaybo

  21. #21
    MT rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatbay
    I have not riden 1800 miles on my X.9 yet ..... but I have put more than 400 miles on my X.9 on my local trails for about 6 months now. Nothing has broken yet. That's another data point.

    On another note, I moved from XT to the X.9. Can't be happier with the better shifting I got. WIth the SRAM, I also don't have to deal with the constant need to tweak my derailleur and shifter after a couple of rides that the XT demanded.

    For what it is worth, this is my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.
    Got XTR/XT derailleurs on my Blizzard for more than a year now. Never needed to constantly tweak the derailleurs. Last time I adjusted it was..... almost 9 months ago I think. Just the occasional chain lubing, nothing else. Shifting was awesome from the first day I rolled it out of my garage Haven't got experience on SRAM derailleurs though.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    36
    I broke two X9 RD's, no obvious cause, but have to give SRAM credit for replacing them. I went back to using shimano on my primary rig. Haven't had any problems with the thrid X9 on my other rig yet.

  23. #23
    ..probably out riding..
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    183
    I'm a 4 month sram convert, 1700 miles on an x9 with only issue being a non issue, had to regrease the pully wheels. It has been solid and shifts crisp. I ride pure xc... I have not crashed on the derailleur though.

  24. #24
    Ex-Clydesdale
    Reputation: Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by deathonwheels
    I broke two X9 RD's, no obvious cause, but have to give SRAM credit for replacing them. I went back to using shimano on my primary rig. Haven't had any problems with the thrid X9 on my other rig yet.
    Did you go through your LBS to have SRAM replace them, or did you send them to SRAM yourself?
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •