mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Forte Carve pedal exit issues

I recently got some Forte Carve Pedals which are my first MTB clipless pedals. I previously have used speedplay pedals on my road bike and never had any entry and exit issues with with them.
    I ride a ridgid single speed bike but I am not all that buff yet.

I used the pedals on my road bike because I wanted more mobility when off the bike, they seem to be just fine for that purpose.

I used them for the first time on a hard MTB ride and had some serious exit issues with them. I would some to a stop, rotate out but the cleat would get jammed in the pedal anyway with my falling over. This happened about 4 times over the fairly short ride. The only different is that while mountain riding I am pussing down with more force and trying to get out faster than on the road bike. I usually ride up a hill to a spot that I cant clear with a lot of downward force on the pedal and need to get out faster causing the jam. If I am paying attention I can flick out and up and the shoe comes out just fine.

Is this a problem with just these cheap Forte Carve pedals or all SPD style pedals?

Former Bike Wrench
    SPD type pedals are going to feel a huge bit difference than Speedplay pedals. Make sure you have the tension set as low as possible starting off and just practice. If you wanted a bargain pedal that would be easier to get out and feel more like a Speedplay you should look at Crank Bros. Otherwise I'd pay up and get Speedplay Frogs and you'll feel right at home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Actually I am not a big fan of all the float on the speedplays. Don't think I would enjoy that on the mountain bike. Also, again, on the road I can get in and out of SPD's just fine. I already have the muscle memory to twist out and everything.

The problem is, when I twist out, my foot is 45-50 degrees out, well enough to be able to unclip, but the cleat gets jammed in the mechanism even though it's un clipped.

I can replicate it with the shoe off tiwsting the pedal out while pushing down. I know part of the trick is to flick up and out instead of just out, but it's not as intuitive while under a lot of torque.

On the reviews for the Carve pedals on the performance site, somebody mentioned the same problem I am experiencing and that shimano pedals have a different shape ramp or tab that help prevent this. Just wondering if anybody else can confirm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Had the same issue on some Performance brand mtn pedals. I played around and really watched what was happening and they did unclip but often got bound up like you say and I too was unable to exit. I have 959's, XTR's and XT SPD's on my other bikes and they all work perfectly. Gave up on the cheapo pedals. Wanted cheapo pedals for a specific build but bad place to scrimp on price. You can get genuine Shimano pedals on sale cheap. Even better deals on last years models. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Interesting. Thanks for some sort of confirmation. I dug that they are light for the price, but looks like they will be returned for something safer.