mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Flat Bar + Road Crank + Front Derailleur

I have been building up a bike and I have come to a problem (My first and so far only problem) with the front derailleur/crank.

I have an FSA Gossamer 50/39/30 crank, LX M581 derailleur and LX ST-M580 shifters/levers, all new. I am having a problem with the derailleur lining up with the chainrings. The chainrings seem to be closer to the frame than the derailleur cage. On the small ring, the front derailleur is about 4 to 5mm to far outward (away from the frame).

I have read that there are some Shimano flat bar front derailleurs (R773, R440 etc.) that work with road cranks and flat bar shifters/brakes, but I like all the components I have and would like to try to fix the problem using the parts instead of replacing something (I will if I have to).

I have a small 5mm spacer that came with the crankset that is a perfect fit over the axle and I do not know what this is supposed to be used for, but can I use this on the axle between the crank and the bearing cup to move the crank outward by 5mm? I am thinking this will bring the chainrings inline with the derailleur, or will it cause a problem now that the non-drive crank is closer to the end of the axle by 5mm?

Is the Shimano R773 or R440 quality parts, on the same level as the LX?

Many Thanks for the help and info,
    Ian

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    This a road bike ???
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's a hybrid. Road frame with LX components and a flat bar. It's a bit of a frankenbike.

The Gossamer triple megaexo crank chainline is 46mm, whereas your Shimano components are for a 50mm chainline, that sounds like your 4mm. I see on the installation instructions at FSA's site no mention of a spacer for the road crank (they do for mountain bikes), but that might do the trick for you. You might try asking FSA too...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Install that spacer under.....

the drive side cup, that will space your chain rings out 5mm, obviously, and is exactly the purpose it was included with the crankset for, chain line correction.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"