mtbr member
    Oct 2007

fixing a broken shifter

So i was doin some killer riding yesterday and ended up goin over the bars... My knee looks like hamburger meat, but other than that im ok. My bike however did end up with some damage. I use SRAM thumb shifters, and the smaller lever (to shift the front chain ring down) broke off and i wasnt able to find it on the trail... Does anybody know if I can get a replacement trigger or if i just need a new shifter?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Depends on the model....

but for the X0, X9, X7 and X5 the large pull lever on the bottom of the shifter is replaceable. For the lower end models, X4 and below, both levers are part of a single piece and can be replaced as a unit as well. The only draw back is that the parts will likely have to be ordered direct from SRAM through a dealer. Not many online retailers carry low demand small parts like the levers. If you are looking at getting back in operation quickly it would likely be faster just to get a new shifter. If it's the small inner lever then you'd be better off just getting a new shifter as hammering it hard enough to kill that small lever likely screwed something else as well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks for the help... i managed to find a buddy who had a brand new set of X7s layin around (he likes twisties) so i was able to buy them off him for the standard MTB parts rate... a 12 pack of sierra nevada... we are both happy now