Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

is it fixable........

946 views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  qkenuf4u 
#1 ·
these are the parts that came out of my rear YETI ASX cassette last night when i got home... the back wheel wobbled and i believed he kid when he said it just needed tightened up.... :rolleyes:
i did find the piece online that is broken into 3 pieces but know nothing about how to fix it or if it would fit this cassette. gonna take it down to my LBS tom. and see what he says.... :madman:
its out of a HAYES ELITE cartridge bearing hub. not sure who the maker of the cassette is/was....

guess thats what i get for believing people :nono:

See less See more
#5 ·
if you found the part online you should be able to fix it, unless there's something else whacked. got pics of the hub? where online did you find that part? i've got an old "hayes" hub, but it's all cartridge bearings and i don't have that part in mine, or roller bearings.

#7 ·
#11 · (Edited)
ya it LOOKS like the piece i have pionted out but not 100% sure its the same size.... gonna talk to DT SWISS tom. and stop down at my LBS to see if he has one.... would be cool if he had one .... would like to keep the money in the hands of the people that need it the most right now and hes helped me out a few times..... and i would be up and riding 100% tom. if he does have one...
oh and yes it had both pawls...... one was covered in grease and laying perfectly still so i didnt see it... all good other than that one stinkin piece...

#12 · (Edited)
The part in the drawing is definately the part. You can see the bearing retainer, the pawls, pawl carrier etc...all the eact same as your hub.

IMO, I would spend the extra $10 while I was in there and replace the pawls and pawl spring(s). If the hub has been beaten on enough to have broken internals (and it is pretty filthy inside) chances are good that things are worn in the freehub mech.

#13 ·
thats whats crazy.. everything looks perfect except this piece.. the teeth in the cassette are all still nice and sharp, the pawls catch and hold perfectly fine..... the pawls where another 15$ that piece i need is 13$...... ill let my LBS look at it and see what he has in stock/can get ..... hopefully he has the piece i need and im back up and riding tomorrow afternoon :thumbsup:
oh and the kid i bought it from yesterday is actually gonna stand up and help me out with whatever this costs to fix... :cool:

#15 ·
qkenuf4u said:
thats whats crazy.. everything looks perfect except this piece.. the teeth in the cassette are all still nice and sharp, the pawls catch and hold perfectly fine..... the pawls where another 15$ that piece i need is 13$...... ill let my LBS look at it and see what he has in stock/can get ..... hopefully he has the piece i need and im back up and riding tomorrow afternoon :thumbsup:
oh and the kid i bought it from yesterday is actually gonna stand up and help me out with whatever this costs to fix... :cool:
The cassette is not part of the hub. You are repairing the freehub.

BTW this is a version of the DT Onyx, which is a mid-range hub (at best) and much less expensive and durable than the higher priced DTs.

#16 ·
davep said:
Looks like Jenson has the entire freehub inners (Pawls, spring, bearing, bearing ring, inner carrier, etc for $23)

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU407Z16-Dt+Swiss+Onyx+Retainer+Holder.aspx
ya i looked at that and didnt think that was the same as what i have but looking again i think it just might be...... how does that whole assembly come out of the hub ? i had it all cleaned out etc. and didnt see a snap ring or anything but i may have not looked well enough.... :madman: that would rock if thats all i need....... :thumbsup:

#17 ·
qkenuf4u said:
ya i looked at that and didnt think that was the same as what i have but looking again i think it just might be...... how does that whole assembly come out of the hub ? i had it all cleaned out etc. and didnt see a snap ring or anything but i may have not looked well enough.... :madman: that would rock if thats all i need....... :thumbsup:
You can download the service manual from the DT site

#20 ·
lol found the manual but its in swedish !!! (i think lol) cant read it and still have no clue how they get that freewheel part off the hub..... lol
thanks ill call DT tomorrow and see what they can do for me... if thats all i need ill just order the whole assembly and have my LBS put it together for me if i cant figure it out.....(well i know he will have to pulll the cassette off the freewheel parts,dont have that tool)
thanks

#22 ·
qkenuf4u said:
lol found the manual but its in swedish !!! (i think lol) cant read it and still have no clue how they get that freewheel part off the hub..... lol
thanks ill call DT tomorrow and see what they can do for me... if thats all i need ill just order the whole assembly and have my LBS put it together for me if i cant figure it out.....(well i know he will have to pulll the cassette off the freewheel parts,dont have that tool)
thanks
Read it again.
The manual is in German AND English. The German is first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.