mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Fitting new chain

Hey guys, sorry im new to biking and i broke my first chain. I just bought a new SRAM chain with the power link which seems pretty sweet but the chain seems to be a little long. I was just wondering how to determine the right length of a chain for your bike. And yes I got the right length for my bike... my bike is a nine speed and I got a nine speed chain. Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did you read the instructions that always come with a new chain? If not, or you can not understand the half dozen languages they write them in, it says to thread the chain over the large cog and large chainring and then overlap by two links. That's the length you need.

Of course you still need a chain breaker to remove the excess links and yes there are quite a few extra links. Save them.

bi-winning

easy.

Quote Originally Posted by fred³
    Did you read the instructions that always come with a new chain? If not, or you can not understand the half dozen languages they write them in, it says to thread the chain over the large cog and large chainring and then overlap by two links. That's the length you need.
    When i bought my new SRAM chain, i did not get any instructions. They just pulled it out of a bin and gave it to me. As for sizing, i kept the same # of links as my old chain.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    In case it was a bin chain (is that like a pickle barrel?), Fred's instructions and this diagram are all you're missing:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I guess it's a common mistake, but it still amazes me that someone will buy something and not get either verbal instructions or the written ones before leaving the store. It's obviously not self explaning.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Chain length

Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    In case it was a bin chain (is that like a pickle barrel?), Fred's instructions and this diagram are all you're missing:

I have NEVER had any luck using the big/big chain length method. I mean I know that's how it is supposed(?) to be done, but when I get done it's always too droopy in the small/small configuration. I've always used the small/small chainring/cog and add a couple of lengths method and it has always worker out well. I sometimes wonder why, but since my method works, I get over it pretty quickly.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by browns110
    I have NEVER had any luck using the big/big chain length method. I mean I know that's how it is supposed(?) to be done, but when I get done it's always too droopy in the small/small configuration. I've always used the small/small chainring/cog and add a couple of lengths method and it has always worker out well. I sometimes wonder why, but since my method works, I get over it pretty quickly.
    I'm never worried about the small-small since it's a cross-chain combo I wouldn't use intentionally. Of course, so is big-big, but the method ensures nothing will break if I accidentally shift there.