Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First time installing BMX BB

701 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
This is the first time I'm installing a BMX BB, and BMX cranks.

I have this BB kit:

Along with these cranks:

I'm pretty confident with installing the actual axle itself and the two bearing/cup things, but what are the rest of the spacers for? Also, how to I center the axle?

See less See more
#4 ·
Ok so I'll confess.. Last night I put the cranks on without the bearing caps.. so I need to pull the cranks.

I've never pulled BMX cranks before. I just assumed a crank puller would be in order but there's no threads in the cranks to pull them with? The Park Tool website say that some 3 piece cranks use a proprietary crank puller or just a mallet. If there are no threads at all I guess it's just a mallet job?

Any suggestions on how I do this without breakages??

#5 ·
jasevr4 said:
Ok so I'll confess.. Last night I put the cranks on without the bearing caps.. so I need to pull the cranks.

I've never pulled BMX cranks before. I just assumed a crank puller would be in order but there's no threads in the cranks to pull them with? The Park Tool website say that some 3 piece cranks use a proprietary crank puller or just a mallet. If there are no threads at all I guess it's just a mallet job?

Any suggestions on how I do this without breakages??
One of these

or back out one of the crank bolts. You use a mallet with either.

#6 ·
shiggy said:
One of these

or back out one of the crank bolts. You use a mallet with either.
Excuse my ignorance but how do I use them? Do I screw it in but leave a little bit of room to move, then smack the crank with the rubber mallet?

Are they also used to install the cranks?

Thanks Shiggy I really appreciate it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.