mtbr member
    Jun 2009

First post: Norco Katmandu components to Devinci Chili Pepper? CASSETTE

Hello all, first post and looking for hopefully a quick answer but not sure if that's possible.

I've been riding a Devinci Chili Pepper for 10 years now, some years harder than others, but have just recently started doing a bit of work to it. My shifters started missing, so i recabled and replaced the shifters and they work great now. 9 speed XT on the rear with deore up front.

I've gone through 3 mavic rear rims and they aren't cheap to replace up here in canada. The bike came equipped to house discs but has avid 10 V brakes with Deore levers.

Someone local is selling a 2008 Norco Katmandu with Hayes MX4 discs, which I was thinking to pick up and do the switch. However, the norco is an 8 speed and has a SRAM PG820 cassette, whilst my Devinci has a Shimano HG50 9 speed cassette.

So, after all of that, my question is... can i take my 9 speed Shimano Cassette and put it on the KT hub that previously housed the SRAM cassette?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, it will work, although, you may need to make minor adjustments to the rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    But the Shimano cassette should fit right onto the KT hub without much adjustment? the last thing i want to do is have to use brute force and ignorance and end up with 2 broken hubs.

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller. he's only asking 175 for the entire bike, and i'm just looking at parting it out. apparently one of the crank handles is broken. probably not worth him fixing it.

Thanks standard3x. If anyone else has done this switch, let me know how it went.

Never heard of a KT hub, but both of those cassettes fit on any 8/9 speed freehub body (the part of your hub the cassette fits onto). Like was said, you may need to make a derailleur adjustment after the swap (while the cassettes are standardized, there might be a slight bit of difference of tolerances between the two hubs).

PS Sometimes differing cassettes and freehub bodies might need a spacer behind the cassette for fit, too. Try without first, but if the cassette won't tighten down properly that may be the case.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique