mtbr member
    Apr 2007

First day biking, first day on my new bike and broke it!

I was riding at a very low speed (1-2 mph) and a stick got caught up in my derailleur and bent the hanger and the spoke caught the small gear on the bottom (closest to the ground, dont know what it is called) and bent the housing of that. The big mechanical part seems ok but I need these two replacement parts. Can I buy just the lower part of the derailleur or do I need to buy the whole thing? I also need a new hanger for it, thankfully I was able to bend it back to get back home. The bike is a Motobecane 400ht, not nearly as good as some of your bikes I am sure but I am very impressed with it. Also, is there a way to prevent this from happening? I live in southern louisiana and ride in the woods/trails and there are sticks all over.

Freshly Fujified

Hello Motoguy

Welcome to the forums. Bummer that your first ride turned out as it did. The lower part of the derailleur that you refer to is called the "cage". While you may be able to buy one, it may be hard to track one down. bending it back into shape, while not pretty, might suffice. I would contact whomever you bought the bike from and buy at least 2 derailleur hangers. Replace the bent one, and see if you can't bend it back straight (you may find that it comes in handy some day when you bend the second replacement hanger!). You may also have to buy a new rear derailleur if you can't bend the cage back enough. I rode a SRAM X.7 with a bent cage for a long time with minimal effect on it's functionality. To answer the acid test question, there's not much you can do to prevent this from happening again. It's a hazard we deal with, and you just happen to be fortunate enough top have experienced it on your first ride.

Best wishes in getting the bike back into shape.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I bought the bike off of ebay. I tried the local shops here and was very dissapointed in both, One is a trek dealer and one is a specialized dealer. I went to the first last weekend with every intention of buying and the guys kept passing me up talking to one another never acknowleding my existance, same thing happened in the second except the guys were talking to customers whom they seemed to know well about their recent investments in real estate which went on for well over 10 minutes at which point I got annoyed and left. I see a new unit is less than $100 so thats not bad, I just need a new hanger.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As you know, you have to watch out for the back wheel, it takes quite a different line from the front wheel.

It took me quite a while to get the hang of swinging around obstacles to prevent damage to the bike, and me when I fall off, cause I hit a rock or something.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    also, at the first sound of a stick in the gear, STOP and remove it, dont try and ride through it

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I didnt try to ride trhough it, I just stopped and then noticed why it wouldnt go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does anyone know if there is a derailleur bracket that is compatable with a motobecane? I have been searching for hours and have come up empty handed. I can probably tell you where to get one for any other bike though. Also, I am goign to buy a new derailleur ($25!!) should I upgrade to something else or just replace with what is there?

Freshly Fujified

Hanger compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by Motoguy
    Does anyone know if there is a derailleur bracket that is compatable with a motobecane? I have been searching for hours and have come up empty handed. I can probably tell you where to get one for any other bike though. Also, I am goign to buy a new derailleur ($25!!) should I upgrade to something else or just replace with what is there?
    You need a hanger specific to the Motobecane 400 HT. Wheter or not another is compatible is possible, you'll spend as much time finding what's compatible as it will to find a sources for the 400 HT hanger itself. Contact the folks at Bikesdirect.com. They are a huge Moto dealer online. If anyone can get you the hanger they can. Again, buy at LEAST 2! Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/

As for the derailleur, I'd upgrade to a Deore or Deore LX. If you search hard on ebay you can find a brand new LX for about $40 shipped. It's almost XT level in performance, and you won't regret the upgrade. Here's a link to one from a vendor that I've used and trust.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Shimano-Deor...QQcmdZViewItem

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

S*it Happens!
    To bad about your first ride. I would try calling Bikesdirect as well and as for your new derailleur make sure it is compatible with 8 speed gearing. Hope you get your moto back on the trail soon.

Good luck.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like lifethe trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Fantastic, I will order the derailleur recommended. I am really dissapointed, not in the bike but in the availability of parts. I havent found a single place on the net that offers anything for moto's. It performs great, I enjoyed my ride a great deal yesterday. I do see a full susupension bike in my future if I continue to ride often.

Thanks CallMeClyde, I just ordered using the link you provided and emailed bikesdirect, I will keep you guys posted. I appreciate your help. Get to used to seeing me around here, I am loving this new sport. I am a dirtbike and 4 wheeler rider and there is just something about this that neither gives me.
    Last edited by Motoguy; 04-08-2007 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's very unlikely that motobecane uses a proprietary design. Many bikes use the same kind of hanger.
    If you are not able to get an original hanger, you may try this link
    http://www.pilo.co.il/
    Browse through the many brands listed and you certainly find the same hanger, or one that is virtually the same. You can also contact the shop (i,e, sending him a picture of the broken item), the owner is really helpful.
    good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The person I purchased the bike from said that it uses the same type of hanger as many other bikes (wish she would have said) including fuji. I ordered it and from wheelgoods.com and had it 1 day shipped, I will let you know how it turns out.

the catalan connection
    Ive been studying the "sticks catching into the spokes " phenomena for a while
    (had it happen couple times too, really a mess).
    Well, its quite simple:
    When you pass over a stick with your wheel you lift it up and it jumps in between the spokes, easy. The question is that the stick moves at a certain speed into the spokes, so the faster you go, the lower is the chance that the stick has time to pass between the spokes becouse as it does it will be already kicked out by the coming spoke.
    This theory has some dark spots over which I still have to bear light on:
    For example:Im not sure how ,although the faster spokes will prevent sticks from moving in , the faster rolling wheel will at the same time be lifting the sticks at faster speed, anulating part of its benefits.
    Another one is how catastrophic would be to get a stick caught at 15 mph instead of the 1-2 mph the original poster had it happening.

Well, anyway, Im still making some field research so far. As soon as I see a stick field I just speed up.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Lol, all scientific about it huh? The stick that got me didnt even touch the spokes, it caught the derailleur.
    For those of you who need motobecane derailleur hangers go to http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...er_hangers.htm For some reason this page isnt linked on their main page but they emailed me back and hooked me up, $20 a piece, not bad. I went ahead and ordered 2 so I have extras on hand if the other one I ordered doesnt fit and if it does then I have more extras.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoguy
    Lol, all scientific about it huh? The stick that got me didnt even touch the spokes, it caught the derailleur.
    For those of you who need motobecane derailleur hangers go to http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...er_hangers.htm For some reason this page isnt linked on their main page but they emailed me back and hooked me up, $20 a piece, not bad. I went ahead and ordered 2 so I have extras on hand if the other one I ordered doesnt fit and if it does then I have more extras.
    That's cool you where able to get that worked out. What was the derailleur you order did you get the LX or XT ?
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like lifethe trail is unpredictable...

the catalan connection
    Thanks, glad you found it usefull You know, I ride alone most of the time...thinking...pedaling...thinking....pedaling. ....sometimes both
    The funniest thing is that Im serious about it ! I really speed up when I find a "stick garden", it works for me. And Im using an xtr rear derailleur,which I couldnt afford to replace right now.
    Nice you found how to fix yours
    Cheers
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I got the lx as CallMeClyde recommended. I really dont know what the difference would have been, I am just hoping I am able to get adjusted correctly and am back riding soon!