mtbr member

First broken chain in 20+ years

When I had my new bike built in March, my LBS nearly insisted they use a quick link on my shimano 10 sp chain. I told them I'd been riding shimano chains since 1988 and preferred pins

They talked me into a quick link. Four months later, I broke my first chain -- the quick link, specifically

I'm going back to shimano pins but I've heard they break often as well. Which is the lesser of two evils, shimano pins or quick links?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member

Re: First broken chain in 20+ years

Ive never had a sram quicklink fail, kmc or wipperman links get good raps also but the new 10sp sram ones are most definitely impossible to remove without the tool

usually cranky
    it was probably installed wrong.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    SRAM and KMC....done.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Shimano connecting pins are good, I connect all my own that way and have never had a failure. Also many years of trouble free use of them at shops confirms my personal experiences. This was pre-10 speed days but I'd guess the new ones work just as well.

I think a properly installed Sram or KMC link is fine too.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    When I had my new bike built in March, my LBS nearly insisted they use a quick link on my shimano 10 sp chain. I told them I'd been riding shimano chains since 1988 and preferred pins

They talked me into a quick link. Four months later, I broke my first chain -- the quick link, specifically

I'm going back to shimano pins but I've heard they break often as well. Which is the lesser of two evils, shimano pins or quick links?
    Your title says it all.

I've run Shimano chains since 1992 and never had a failure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've broken chains, but never at the quick link or special pin. I prefer quick links since I regularly remove my chains to clean them.

As to what happened, some of the 10 speed quick links are directional, I'm not sure of the KMC ones but I know the SRAM ones are. There's an arrow on them that points in the direction of chain rotation, if you put them in the wrong way it may lead to an early failure.

Plays with tools
    I've seen a bunch of broken quick links at races, I've never seen a broken shimano install pin. I do not like quick links, I'll use them with a chain if that's what the manufacturer shipped them with though. I've never understood why some people are so hung up on taking the chain off in the first place, clean the damn thing on the bike!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    have broken/seen broken multiple dozens of shimano chains. almost always at the install pin. Will say it's probably 99% do to improper install in the first place.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: First broken chain in 20+ years

I've broke one SRAM powerlink. Only chain I've ever broke was also SRAM. Back to shimano and kmc chains and no issues so far

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    I've broke one SRAM powerlink. Only chain I've ever broke was also SRAM. Back to shimano and kmc chains and no issues so far

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE
    Same here exactly. I switched to kmc and zero issues since.
    Riding.....