mtbr member
    Jun 2008

First-Aid for Knocked-Out 44T Chainring Teeth?

Knocked off about 1/2-1/3 of each of three consecutive teeth on my 44T (Shimano XT) chainring.

The chainring still engages with no slip/fall of the chain; I've already de-burred with a file the remaining length of the teeth.

Should I do anything else (or not do anything) as a remedy, short of replacing the chainring which I don't think I need to do?

Cyclist of Borg
    I would replace the ring, now, before you have to replace chain and ring. the teethe aere designed for max power transfer between chain and ring. you might not feel it, but the teeth that are still full size are now compensating for the broken ones. your chain is beginning to stretch in unintended ways and that will carry to your cassette and other rings. although i might be overreacting.
    Others might have differing opinions
    Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you use 44t very often while riding, then switch it out...if not, I rode on it for a few years with a bunch of teeth bashed in...but I very rarely went into top gear, so it wasnt n issue. Other option you have is to replace it with a bashguard and go to 2x9....I switched to 26t nd 36t with a BBG guard and much prefer the more usable range and a little more clearance...Or keep riding what you got...youll probably just wear out the chain a little sooner as mentioned above...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for your responses.

I'm in the Big 44 really only about 1% of the time, so maybe I'll hold out on changing it out.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I was king of the 41t chainring for years... I wouldn't worry about it if you have filed off the burrs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I was king of the 41t chainring for years... I wouldn't worry about it if you have filed off the burrs.
    Guess I'm now an initiated member of that 41T Kustom Klub -

mtbr member
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com