mtbr member
    May 2007

finish line citrus degreaser too harsh?

Hey all,

Just wanted to bounce this off you... a buddy told me the finish line brand citrus degreaser (comes in a orange can) is too harsh for bike components. Should I be concerned and find something else to use when cleaning my drive train?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Why does he think it's to harsh? It's made for bikes and biodegradable. If you're really worried the only thing less harsh would probably be dish soap and water.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's what I don't understand. But he's worked in shops and has stated that it can "etch or eat away at some of the metals used in drivetrains, and is not good for carbon frames. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can you tell us what shops he has worked in....just so we don't go there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's right. I remember hearing that the air force found that Simple Green cleaner etched aluminum.
    As a bike shop, I could see them being worried that the cleaner would leave discolored/etched marks on someone's polished aluminum bike.
    I don't polish my bikes so I wouldn't worry about it. Then again, I don't use anything that strong anyways - just dish soap.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I never use degreaser around my bike unless I'm cleaning a grease stain on my fork or something. The stuff will melt the lube right off your bearings.

lamer
    Park Tool's ChainBrite seems to have eaten the logo off my MRP 1x guide, but it wouldn't have surprised me if it would have come off with just a little elbow grease anyways.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think Finish line degreaser is great for cleaning drive line parts when they are off the bike but I agree that it is probably too harsh to use in an "on the bike" chain cleaner. Probably not great for non metal parts or paint.

mtbr member
    i work if ilm industry (I'm a chef)
    Anyhow my mobile kitchen has a diamond plate Aluminum floor.
    Simple green and just about any other degrease will foam up and strip the floor. It will eat holes in the floor if spilled full strengthand not clean sup with fresh water...

Goat Herder
    Finish Line Degreaser is garbage! I've been using the Park Tools product for YEARS with no damage to any surface and it leaves parts bright and shiney with a slight oiled feel. I ran out so I went to my nearest LBS and they only carried Finish Line, it was cheaper for a giant can so I bought it. Used it once, threw in trash. It leaves a white film on everything, and it's not as effective so I had to re-clean with dish soap to finish the job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Interesting that this thread caught my attention after a day spent dealing with a dirty drivetrain!

Had to replace the rear derailleur on my wife's Fargo after a spill rendered it useless. When the chain was pulled I hung it vertically and sprayed some kerosene-based engine degreaser at the top then let it run down and soak in while I mounted the new derailleur. Prior to installing the chain I wiped it down with a rag - still a bit dirty but much cleaner than when it was removed.

Upon getting all the adjustments finished I got hold of my Park chain cleaner tool and filled it with the Finish Line product then cleaned the chain. It got all of the remaining dirt off...jury's out on whether it or Chain Brite is better (I have a supply of both). But the stuff definitely addressed the gunk problem.

A coating of Boeshield chain lube was applied after another wipe down as it's not a good idea to leave acid-prepped metal in an unprotected state for very long. If you use the product (or any other citric acid bearing cleaners, for that matter) with these constraints in mind they should work fine.

mtbr member
    Interesting reading guys. I just asked a question like this earlier in the day ( sorry I didn't see this thread first ) asking if isopropyl alcohol could be used in lew of a degreaser? The orange can of finsih line degreaser is it more powerful then their ecotech degreaser?