mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Feeding gear cables

I'm preparing to the job of replacing my current LX derailleur + shifters by SRAM 9.0 + x.0 twisters. Now learning cabling stuff.
    On my bike (like I believe on most) the cables housing goes by sections - the first goes from the shifter to the first frame stop, second - from the second frame stop to the third one.
    Between the two first frame stops and after the third towards the derailleur the cables goes exposed, i.e. without the housing (under the top tube).
    Someone on local bike forums advised to use the housing all the time along the cable run until the last frame stop, i.e. drilling the first two stops in order to allow enough clearance to pass through the cable with its housing, i.e. by that avoiding the exposed cable run under the top tube. He claims that this is more robust way having as least as possible exposed cable to the environment. Of course cable lubing (inside the housing) is also done.

On the other hand, I'm a bit hesitating to do that, just because if that would be really good thing, I believe frame manufacturers (or at least many experienced riders/mechanics) would persuade this approach.

Any advise/opinions on that ?

mbtr member
    interrupted cable housings are stupid.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    unlined cables yes
    stops no.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Xmm, what about the idea of shielding the cable by the housing along its entire length ?
    It may mean though drilling the frame stops (which sounds quite nasty) to allow enough clearance for these ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you want to use uninterrupted housing, I suggest using zip-ties to hold the housing against the frame. Leave the stops as they are, just bypass them entirely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Go with mechbgon suggestion. That way if you don't like the results you can easily fo back to the prior arrangement.

You can decide later if you want to drill out the fulcrums and change them to housing guides. One note. when using full housing you usually need a clip, guide or tie every foot or so. If you drill out your existing stops you'll still need a cable tie or something in the middle.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There are also plenty of cable sets with inner liners for weather protection. Gore Ride-On is an obvious one that springs to mind.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks guys, all valuable info.