mtbr member
    Aug 2010

FD Shifting issues

Recently converted (3x10), to a 2x10 with bashgard setup. Replaced the Sram 3X components with Shimano this time around (XT trigger shifters, XT Shadow plus RD / KMC chain). Gear wise, I'm running
    33-22 / 11-36. Very pleased with this setup. The issue I am having, is when shifting from the lower to the upper chainring. I have no problem shifting, when there is no load on the drivetrain. When there is a load, it doesn't upshift. The only way I can get the chain on the larger ring is to drop to the lower gears on the rear cassette. I'm stumped ? Thinking my problem my be worn ramps / pins ? Of note, I am running the original 3X front derailleur (e-type). The chain is sized for the 33T chainring. If I replaced same with a 34T. Do you think I'll run into an issue with the length of the chain ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, let me make sure I understand. You have your original crank, two smallest chainrings, and front derailleur, and are having trouble shifting to your remaining biggest ring, correct?

The only way I can get the chain on the larger ring is to drop to the lower gears on the rear cassette.
    What do you mean by "drop to lower gears"? Do you mean that you have to shift onto smaller cogs in the rear, or larger cogs in the rear?

Did it shift OK before going 2X? Not likely to be worn ramp pins then.

Anyway, a couple of things to check:

It sounds like the front derailleur cage is not being moved towards the bigger ring far enough. Loosen the H limit screw plenty so that it is not a factor. Tighten the barrel adjuster (Turn it CCW). Get it so that it shifts ok, then adjust the H screw until it touches the cam, then back it off just a bit so it isn't putting pressure on the cable when you are in the big ring.

Is the front derailleur mounted at the same place as it was when it was 3X? It should be. If you lowered it, that could be the problem. There are ramps inside the cage that have to be positioned properly. Hold the large ring that you removed against the bash guard and adjust the FD position accordingly.

The chain is sized for the 33T chainring. If I replaced same with a 34T. Do you think I'll run into an issue with the length of the chain ?
    Probably. Shift into the large-large combination, and see if there is still any play left in the rear derailleur cage. Can you pull on the chain with your fingers and flex the RD pivot further? There should be some angle in where the chain moves past the jockey wheel closest to the cassette. Also check that there rear derailleur cage does not contact the teeth on the cassette when you stretch the chain a bit by hand.

I assume you shortened the chain when you went to 2x. If you still have the pieces, join one inner link to your chain with another quicklink.

Hope you get it going. I converted from 42/32/24 to 36/24 and it is sweet.