zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006

Fd Shifting Issues

My fd shifts between the 32 and 42 great, I couldnt ask for more. However the shift down to the 22 sucks in a major way. Sometimes it will just not jump down there, as you can imagine this really screws up the flow of my riding.

What do you think could be the problem. cable tension????

The fd is an e-type acera that came oem and worked great for a year or so

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alm80
    My fd shifts between the 32 and 42 great, I couldnt ask for more. However the shift down to the 22 sucks in a major way. Sometimes it will just not jump down there, as you can imagine this really screws up the flow of my riding.

What do you think could be the problem. cable tension????

The fd is an e-type acera that came oem and worked great for a year or so
    So, up until recently, you've had no problem shifting to your small ring?

If so, that suggests that something has changed. Has anything happened recently which might've bent the FD or moved it out of alignment?

Regardless, here are some things you can try:

1) Make sure that the side plates of the derailleur cage are parallel with the chainrings. If they aren't, loosen the clamp attaching the derailleur to the seat tube and realign.

2) Make sure that the outside plate of the cage clears the big ring by no more than 1-2mm. If it doesn't, loosen the clamp attaching the derailleur to the seat tube and move up or down as necessary.

3) Clean the area between the bottom of the low limit screw and the plate which it contacts when in low gear. Enough crud in this area will prevent the derailleur from moving inward far enough to allow shifting to occur. (You might want to do this first.)

4) Adjust the low limit screw to allow the derailleur to shift far enough to the inside for good shifting.

5) Adjust the cable tension. (Do this last. Given the symptoms you describe, if cable tension is the problem, that means that it's somehow gotten tighter by itself over time. This usually does not happen; cable stretch and housing compression usually slacken things up.)

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    I'll have to look into some of these ideas, however my fd is a e-type (bb mount) so the postion is fixed so to speak.

When i try to shift down to granny, the cage moves and rubs the chain like it should, however the chain does not move down like it should.
    Last edited by alm80; 10-26-2007 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check that nothing is bent or out of alignment as above
    Check for crud in the low limit stop as above.
    Check that the cable housings are seated properly in the cable stops.
    Loosen cable (count the turns).

Does it start to shift the chain down?

If not try backing out the lowlimit screw (count turns).