mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Favorite Replacement Chain Rings?

so my yeti 575 came equipped with Truvativ chainrings and cranks. The chainrings didn't last but a few months before they were replaced by my mechanic with XT rings.

i've tried race face chainrings on another bike, but they that didn't last long either.

The product reviews on MTBR don't reveal a definative choice. Looked for Blackspire, but couldn't find them on Jenson or Nashbar.

any suggestions?

banned
    Blackspire on pricepoint.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Shimano XT at the local LBS. I don't find that anything else wears any better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Shimano XT at the local LBS. I don't find that anything else wears any better.
    My Blackspire's outlast XT by around 60%. The Truvativ's are awful!
    It's only pain......

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F
    My Blackspire's outlast XT by around 60%. The Truvativ's are awful!
    I find that it's chains that wear out the rings. If you catch the end of the cycle (your chain is already wearing) and then replace the ring, you won't get much life out of that ring before the chain has reached it's point of no return, and the chain stretches the rings, so it destroys both of them at once. Thisis what I find makes the real difference. Change out the chain more frequently and the rings magically last longer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    +1 on changing chain frequently

Also,

Next time you need to replace rings and cogs, take a good look at the gear combos you are using and try to get a new set of rings/cogs that results in a straight chainline more than not. I did this last spring and tripled my chain lifetime, and ditto for chainring and cogset.

+1 on blackspire rings, Universal Cycles carries a full line of Blackspire stuff.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Change out the chain more frequently and the rings magically last longer.
    Agreed......I would never replace a ring or cassette without changing the chain. New chains are the best insurance policy you can buy!
    It's only pain......