Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012

Fastest way to rail chain?

You're on a (not too steep) climb of your favorite trail. You want to beat your best time. And suddenly, your pedals spin out with a clunk. You look down and there the chain is, between the shell and granny ring, sucked for some unknown reason.

Assuming that the chain didn't get totally wedged in there, what would be the fastest way to rail the chain back on?

I tried shifting to 2nd chain ring and pedaling, but that was stupid and just wedged the chain in there. The chain wouldn't catch. It was too big of a jump. What would you guys do? The most reliable way I know is to rip off your gloves and be a human derailer. Prolly take a while longer, but at least it works.

Edit: thx for moving this thread. It started out as sort of a wrenching thing but quickly changed subjects. Haha
    Last edited by sauprankul; 11-14-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My very first reaction is to grab my phone...and pause my Mountain Bike Riding app that records my time and milage. I then proceed to pry and kick my chainring and foward derailer. I really, really, really hate that derailer. Once the chain is free. I pull the chain from the button freeing up some slack and on to my middle chaining. Then resume my bike ridding app. I actually set a new time record that day. I have since beat that record.

I <3 dirt
    1x10 with a chain guide here....my answer is ride past you with my chain still on my ring.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    1x10 with a chain guide here....my answer is ride past you with my chain still on my ring.
    Ya ya, it's on my to do list but in the mean time I've ordered a chain guide to help.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    I'm thinking of converting from my 3 x 8 setup to 1 x 8.
    I REALLY don't use my 2nd and 3rd chain ring unless I'm concerned about chain line.
    So can I just take off my 3x and 4x rings and move my 2x ring to the center? Do I need a chain guide or a special crank or a special ring?

Once I get into shape I can switch to my 3x ring.

Edit: never mind. There's no point in running 1 x n unguided. Its worse than 3 x n. I think I'll stick with my triple until $$ is less of a concern. Plus I would need to get Ss specific chain ring bolts...
    Last edited by sauprankul; 11-13-2012 at 10:14 PM.

I <3 dirt
    You can remove the outer and inner rings and then you'd need something to hold it all on. The cheapest route would be an N gear jump stop and a bbg bash guard for the outside.

Or grind down your bolts and buy a seat tube or bb mounted guide like an mrp 1x.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    Ya ya, it's on my to do list but in the mean time I've ordered a chain guide to help.
    If it makes you feel better I'd ask if everything was ok

What kind of guide?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post

properly adjusted 2x here. I do the same thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Fastest way? stomp on the right side pedal backwards (that is, backpedal). Good chance of damaging something that way, but if you're hurt for time, there it is.

Now, assuming it just dropped, and you didn't try to pedal it out, back pedaling can remove it, and some finesse with the derailleur can get it back on the ring.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    You're on a (not too steep) climb of your favorite trail. You want to beat your best time. And suddenly, your pedals spin out with a clunk. You look down and there the chain is, between the shell and granny ring, sucked for some unknown reason.

Assuming that the chain didn't get totally wedged in there, what would be the fastest way to rail the chain back on?

I tried shifting to 2nd chain ring and pedaling, but that was stupid and just wedged the chain in there. The chain wouldn't catch. It was too big of a jump. What would you guys do? The most reliable way I know is to rip off your gloves and be a human derailer. Prolly take a while longer, but at least it works.
    Properly adjust your drivetrain so you do not drop the chain in the first place.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006

In that situation you are best off to jump off, grab the chain and loop it back on the granny ring....and you won't be beating your best time

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Properly adjust your drivetrain so you do not drop the chain in the first place.
    Oh, snap. But true.

On my 'cross bike, I also use a chain watcher despite having (I like to think) a correctly adjusted drivetrain. It makes up for the occasional less-than-graceful putting the bike down after barriers.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You're right. I do meticulously tend to my bike, but it constantly surprises me that my front mech is the part that needs the most maintenance. It's the coarsest part of the bike, yet the most finicky too.

I find both cable tension and limit screws going out of tune after every off road ride.
    Acera.... nuff said.

I <3 dirt
    Front derailleurs suck
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Fat-tired Roadie
    Going from Acera to SLX made a big difference in the reliability of my drivetrain. I think there's a big change at Deore - I actually have a spare Deore FD sitting on my shelf and it looks pretty solid and the graphic is the only visible change from Acera. But Acera and down are definitely a lesser product.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Hi guys. I tried using only my 2nd chain ring (32 I believe) with my 8 speed rear, and, to me, that seemed like a whack chain line. Is that safe? It was more exaggerated on my 32 sprocket than my 11 sprocket. Does that mean I have to get a dedicated single ring crank and nothing else?

This is gonna be long...
    I was going to try making a bashwich by moving my chain rings around. But sadly, my crank is so crappy that it uses riveted rings.
    I've been eyeing the race face ride or evolve cranksets for a while before this. I notice that there is an SS version of the evolve available. It comes with a bash too. By SS do they mean it isn't suitable for a multi speed drive train? Or does that just mean it is a crank with one ring?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Buy a new bike.

Alternatively, live with what you've got until you wear out the rings. Then you'll probably have thrashed enough stuff that you're due for a new bike anyway.

Maybe there's an exception out there that someone will bring up and make me look silly. But in general, bikes that come with riveted chainrings have parts of similar lifespan and capability everywhere else on the bike. By the time you've replaced everything, you'll have paid for a pretty nice bike, but you won't have one.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    OK
    You're right. I need somebody to keep me from upgrading my bike. Instead, I'll put away some money for a real bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What on earth are you doing in granny on a 'not too steep' climb???
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Hmmm I thought I already replied to this. Anyway, you're right. I made up the scenario for conversations sake. I just had in mind that if you we're on a "too" steep climb, then you would have no option but to get off and pull your chain back on.

Next: I usually go 1 x 1-4, 2 x 4-6, and 3 x 6-8.
    I only use my 48t chainring for road. But my paranoid shifting results in me having either a very high gear or a pretty low gear. I tried out 38t chainring with my 32t sprocket and the chain line didn't look too bad. I think the only thing scaring me was the rubbing fd.
    Hehe I just looked up my crankset gearing yesterday and its 28/38/48. Not the best mtb gearing. I'll prolly try some more combinations now that I know the chain line doesn't get too whacky. But I don't think I can make all the climbs I have to with the 38t chainring. I'll try to wear this current crank out quickly! That way I can get something with better gearing haha.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    One of the more obvious explantions is having just finished the granny climb the hill continues at a "not too steep" angle.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hmmm I thought I already replied to this. Anyway, you're right. I made up the scenario for conversations sake. I just had in mind that if you we're on a "too" steep climb, then you would have no option but to get off and pull your chain back on.

Next: I usually go 1 x 1-4, 2 x 4-6, and 3 x 6-8.
    I only use my 48t chainring for road. But my paranoid shifting results in me having either a very high gear or a pretty low gear. I tried out 38t chainring with my 32t sprocket and the chain line didn't look too bad. I think the only thing scaring me was the rubbing fd.
    Hehe I just looked up my crankset gearing yesterday and its 28/38/48. Not the best mtb gearing. I'll prolly try some more combinations now that I know the chain line doesn't get too whacky. But I don't think I can make all the climbs I have to with the 38t chainring. I'll try to wear this current crank out quickly! That way I can get something with better gearing haha.
    Get over the fear of cross-chaining ......Sometimes it is the cat's ass...

For example you ride down into a steep gully in big ring and a small ring on the back....the gully then goes right back up.....with no time to drop to second ring, and/or risk a chain fall....

So grab and handfull on the rear and power up the other side....cross chained works great and only lasts for several pedal strokes.

BTW I run a 46 34 22 1-34.....I run in the big ring lots on the trails.

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, your granny is bigger than most riders' grannies, even a lot (most?) of the guys doing 2x10. Don't worry about the internet chest-beating about not using grannies for moderate climbs - your middle ring is a lot bigger than the middle rings of those riders, and I suspect a lot are either lying or haven't developed their cadence.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    OP, your granny is bigger than most riders' grannies, even a lot (most?) of the guys doing 2x10. Don't worry about the internet chest-beating about not using grannies for moderate climbs - your middle ring is a lot bigger than the middle rings of those riders, and I suspect a lot are either lying or haven't developed their cadence.
    I think my crankset has the superman gearing because it is meant for hybrids/road. I think that will seriously need to go because on the product website, nowhere does it suggest that the product is meant for MTBing!
    I'm still eyeing the race face cranksets. How long does it usually take to wear out the rings on a crappy $40 crank with about 4 to 5 hrs of riding a week? Then I'll have an excuse to upgrade.

About 2 x 10, is the norm to drop the granny or the big ring from the triple? I would assume that you would exchange that high speed ring for the bash. That way, your bike is better suited for slower, trickier stuff.

mtbr member
    My girlfriends say it is all in the wrist, just sayin'

----------------------------------------------------
    ...sorry, involuntary reaction to thread header

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast